Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Question about Chemistry degrees

I am thinking about majoring in Chemistry. Can you get a job in a lab with only a bachelors degree or do you need to go on to grad school etc? What kind of stuff can you do with a degree like this that don't involve extended schooling?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Question about Chemistry degrees

[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking about majoring in Chemistry. Can you get a job in a lab with only a bachelors degree or do you need to go on to grad school etc? What kind of stuff can you do with a degree like this that don't involve extended schooling?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't do much without a Phd. You can get a job in a lab, but you won't have any ptoential for upward mobility without a Phd.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:17 PM

When you say upward mobility doing you mean going into a research field or becoming a professor? Things along those lines?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't do much without a Phd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that true for just about every line of work?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't do much without a Phd.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, unless you are an entrepreneur.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More true in the sciences than in other disciplines such as business. Phd chemists are a dime-a-dozen now and in most circumstances if you don't have a Phd you will have zero upward mobility.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you say upward mobility doing you mean going into a research field or becoming a professor? Things along those lines?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. Without a Phd you cannot become a professor at any decent university. In terms of research, you will never be running your own lab without a Phd.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:20 PM

Sorry for all the questions but I am really interested in the field but don't know how it will relate to real world jobs. Can a person make a good living in this line of work? I don't see myself becoming a professor so I'll ignore that part. Is it worth all the work that is put into obtain a PhD?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:00 PM

I don't know how it is in chemistry. But in physics, starting PhD's at a national lab(Berkeley, Livermore, Los Alamos, Brookhaven, Oak Ridge...etc.) run about 100K a piece. Without a PhD you can't get hired, but in other work(programming physics related apps, like game engines) you start somewhere around 40-50K. Other than that you can teach high school. We know how that goes...
Old 11-10-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for all the questions but I am really interested in the field but don't know how it will relate to real world jobs. Can a person make a good living in this line of work? I don't see myself becoming a professor so I'll ignore that part. Is it worth all the work that is put into obtain a PhD?

[/ QUOTE ]
ing
I have a number of friends that have PhDs. It seems to be the case to me that getting a PhD without loving your field and sub-field is a serious waste of time.

If you live in the right place, you can make an okay living as a lab assistant or a research associate with just only a bachelor's in chemistry. The work is boring, repetitive and thankless. Chemistry is very useful though.

A chemistry degree provides a number of professional school and graduate options if you change your mind. My recommendation to you would be that you not set your future in stone because your tastes may change or chemistry just might not be for you. Also, seeing a career counselor to get more information would be a good idea. Your college should have such a person. I got a degree in molecular biology and not chemistry, but have worked with many people with chemistry degrees in biotech/pharma.

If you search around, you can probably find some career development/advice boards on the net.