Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-11-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Want a new (HD)TV, Budget = $1,500-2,000

So I'm itching to finally upgrade from my 27" CRT, but I have some reservations about spending $2-4K on a TV. I know there have been a handful of TV threads, and I've run a search, but nothing quite covers this budget range, of $1500-2000.

My situation: Right now my living room is about 18x14, and the couch would be about 5-6 feet from the TV. I'm not a gamer, but I do watch a lot of sports. While I currently have room for pretty much any size and bulk TV, I'm young and in NYC (so I could very well have a new place each year) and probably headed to grad school in a couple years, so avoiding lugging around a 200 pound beast from place to place is a consideration, but doesn't necessarily eliminate a good option.

So what are your recommendations?

All types and technologies welcome.

Whatcha got?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Want a new (HD)TV, Budget = $1,500-2,000

5 or 6 feet away I would be looking at smaller lcd's rather than anything big 27" may well be enough. Will be easier to move from place to place as well.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5 or 6 feet away I would be looking at smaller lcd's rather than anything big 27" may well be enough. Will be easier to move from place to place as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What additional sizes/sets would I consider if we pushed that distance to 7-8 feet?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:55 AM

I have a 42" Sony HD LCD and I am VERY VERY VERY VERY happy with it. I am also in an apartment, and I'm about 5-6 feet away from it on the couch. It is AWESOME in Hi-Definition, everything from sports to regular prime time programming.

The only negative is that standard definition just sucks. I don't know if it's because Hi-Def stuff is just so awesome, but it really sucks to go from Hi-Def to regular programming. I also don't know if you're going to have that with EVERY Hi-Def set or not, but I have read in other "research" that LCDs are particularly bad for that.

As for cost - I bought mine at the beginning of the year when they were listed at $2300. Talked down Circuit City to $2050. DEFINITELY NEGOTIATE with this type of large purchase. I believe they're listed at like $1900 now, so I'd suspect you can pick them up for $1700 or so?

The only thing I'd caution is to be careful of the extras. I have DirecTV, so it was a couple hundred extra for the Hi-Def receiver. I had to buy an antenna to get Hi-Def locals, and that was like $50. If you're a TIVO guy, their Hi-Def box is extra. You WANT the good cables when you go to hook everything up, and they're expensive (I spent $75 each on cables to hook up my Hi-Def box and my PS2).

The other "extra" with LCDs is that the bulbs burn out. And they're a couple hundred bucks each. I bought the Circuit City service plan, which has unlimited bulb replacement for 3 years.

In summary, I LOVE my TV - you'd be very happy with a 42" in that "small" of a space, and the picture on my Sony LCD is AMAZING.

No matter what you go with though - consider the extras. They add up REALLY fast.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:56 AM

Up to 32", the recommendation for 42" plasmas is 10-12ft.

I would still look at lcd, over here they are not looking to do hdtv in crt sets so thats a basis for me saying lcd. A good crt is going to have a better picture than a equivelent priced lcd (but do they have hdmi slots on crts in the states?)
Old 10-11-2005, 11:59 AM

I just bought a Samsung HLR5067W for less than $2000. Highly recommended.

Though as the other poster said, 5-6 feet is a little close for that size. You would be fine with HD content, but SD stuff will look pretty bad.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:02 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
No matter what you go with though - consider the extras. They add up REALLY fast.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if you're on a budget then this is a huge consideration. I ended up spending as much on the peripherals as I did my TV.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:05 PM

spending a lot of money on good cables is kind of a bad idea. as long as you dont buy bargain bin crap its pretty much all the same. i say this having built many RCA/component cables in my lifetime. with 8 bucks worth of parts i could build cables better than monster cables.

rj
Old 10-11-2005, 12:07 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

6' is a good distance for a 42' set. if you go smaller you will be shortchanging yourself for all of your hd viewing.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
spending a lot of money on good cables is kind of a bad idea. as long as you dont buy bargain bin crap its pretty much all the same. i say this having built many RCA/component cables in my lifetime. with 8 bucks worth of parts i could build cables better than monster cables.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know jack about building cables - maybe that's my problem.

However, I do think that HAVING good cables (whether you buy them or make them) is important. When I hooked up my PS2, I was pretty disappointed the first time I played Madden. So I went out and spent $75 on Monster cables and it looks AWESOME.