Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-06-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Pregnant Women Smoking

Along these lines it also pisses me off when some woman (or man) is puffin' away while driving, with the kids in the backseat. I don't see how anyone can do that to their own body, but at least it is their own body. Not so with children. Inconsiderate fuckers, all of 'em.

Swede
Old 10-06-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What happens to the baby when the pregnant woman smokes?

[/ QUOTE ]

They come out sounding like Harvey Fierstein.

[/ QUOTE ]

hah. actually if this guy doesn't know what happens in this situation, it is guaranteed that he doesn't know who Harvey Fierstein is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am ignorant. So what happens when a pregnant woman smokes?

[/ QUOTE ]

You run up and kick her in the gawdamn baby
Old 10-06-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People who do this should get busted for child abuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. We should chain all pregnant women up in sterile rooms and feed them nothing but organic tofu and beet juice, so that nothing adverse ever happens to the fetus. That'll solve all of society's problems.

Seriously, I don't approve of her actions, but prosecute her for child abuse? I guess some people never tire of trying to control everyone else.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you [censored] serious? Whats' her rationale????

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish I had the stones to ask her that. She's well above me in the food chain. I just can't even fathom what the hell she's thinking. I've tried to quit and it SUCKS, don't get me wrong...but c'mon, it shouldn't even be a question when you're pregnant.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. We should chain all pregnant women up in sterile rooms and feed them nothing but organic tofu and beet juice, so that nothing adverse ever happens to the fetus. That'll solve all of society's problems.

Seriously, I don't approve of her actions, but prosecute her for child abuse? I guess some people never tire of trying to control everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]
I take it your mother smoked when she was pregnant?

There's no legal recourse, and I would never take it that far. My point is, she's risking/ruining the health of an unborn child because she couldn't handle quitting smoking. Give me a [censored] break. That's about the most selfish thing I can possibly think of.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried to quit and it SUCKS, don't get me wrong...but c'mon, it shouldn't even be a question when you're pregnant.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be one of the considerations before getting pregnant.

Then again, our society demands more from an individual before they give them a library card than before the same individual has kids. I guess having a child (and raising one!) takes less responsibility than checking out a copy of the DaVinci Code...
Old 10-06-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's about the most selfish thing I can possibly think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about:

1. Habitual drunk driving cuz it's convenient
2. Retiring from the NFL when you are only 1500 yards short of the all-time rushing record (some of us lost money on that)
3. Speeding in congested traffic
4. Selling drugs

All of those are compounded when you are pregnant of course.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:39 PM

I once worked with a woman that smoked during her entire pregnancy. I did ask her once why she continued to do so, and her response was a pretty much what I expected.
An eye-roll, a shrug, and a comment about being addicted, etc...

The baby ended up being born slightly premature, and had a cranial deformity that had to be surgically corrected.

I never really talked to her about it again, the whole situation was too sad and f'ed for an even a subtle "I told you so".

There's no way to 100% put the blame on her smoking...but I don't see how she could not regret 9 months of smoking for the rest of her child's life.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I take it your mother smoked when she was pregnant?

There's no legal recourse, and I would never take it that far. My point is, she's risking/ruining the health of an unborn child because she couldn't handle quitting smoking. Give me a [censored] break. That's about the most selfish thing I can possibly think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother has never smoked. Period. Neither have I.

I agree that smoking during pregnancy is not smart. To be blunt about it, it's not smart at any time. But it's also her choice. You can assume she knows the risks. You don't have to approve. You don't have a right to get in her face about it or request the DA jail her ass.

That's the problem with freedom. Sometimes people use it to make choices we don't approve of.