Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Job Offer Dilemma

Quick and dirty summary. Girlfriend moved to Florida. I miss her and want to pursue that relationship, which would require me to move to Florida obviously. I lived in Florida previously and held a job which was the only job I've ever liked. The pay was crappy but I loved it. I tossed them my resume not too long ago and they want to fly me down for an interview. Apparently the job pays ~$50K (much more than I made there the first time). I make ~$35K now. Company I interviewed with locally (through a hiring agency) came at me with a job offer for $46K which is really high for this area. They want to know ASAP if I'll take it. The hiring agency is really really aggressive and I don't handle the aggression well. They're looking for an answer real soon. If I knew I could get the job in Florida at even $46K, I would take it and move.

So essentially it boils down to whether there's a creative way to put the current offer on hold until I can figure out the other job (in Florida) and make them think I'm still interested or whether I should just take it, or I should just decline it. Any ideas?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Job Offer Dilemma

take it and then if you get the florida job just give them two weeks and leave.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
take it and then if you get the florida job just give them two weeks and leave.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's been basically my thought process. I just don't want to start there and work for 2 days and then have a really really awkward 2 weeks.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:31 PM

No no, tell them that you accept the job, but since you didn't expect the offer to come so quickly, you need to give 2 weeks notice at your old job/have bought plane tickets for a vacation/have some other obligation you need to meet. Are they absolutely insisting you start Monday, or what?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No no, tell them that you accept the job, but since you didn't expect the offer to come so quickly, you need to give 2 weeks notice at your old job/have bought plane tickets for a vacation/have some other obligation you need to meet. Are they absolutely insisting you start Monday, or what?

[/ QUOTE ]
No...I told them I'd need 2 weeks. The only problem is that the Florida thing might take a while to work out. I'm not sure how long it would be. I need to get them moving on that ASAP. I do think you have the right approach though. I just need to buy time. The only "problem" is that I know I would like the job in Florida and I'm not so sure that I'd like the job here...but it's still paying a lot more than I'm getting now. So the dilemma continues.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:34 PM

I would politely and respectfully ask the Florida people what the timeline is and if there's any way that it could be done somewhat quickly, or at least that they could tell you where you stand and what your chances are. Maybe mention that you have an offer already for a company that wants an answer ASAP, but that you'd really like to work for Florida and you want to give them every opportunity.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hiring agency is really really aggressive and I don't handle the aggression well. They're looking for an answer real soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

give us an estimate on how soon you will have any idea on the florida job. when are you flying down, etc. Do you know the hiring manager?

if the local hiring company keeps putting heat on you, bypass them and talk to the hiring manager and get the real deal on when you need to let them know. Tell them you're very interested in the job but need a bit of time. You will not be able to string them along for more than a week or two, so if you can't get florida to hurry you may have to choose.

btw, good for you on not moving to friggin lawrence
Old 09-15-2005, 02:44 PM

I would probably fly down at some point next week...but who knows how long until I would know if I got it. That's the dilemma. I know I can't delay this other company for 3 weeks, that would be absurd. I'm wondering if I should roll the dice, tell the company I accept and then try to get the Florida job under wraps within that period of time.

Thanks on the Lawrence bit, it just wasn't enough money to justify.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No...I told them I'd need 2 weeks. The only problem is that the Florida thing might take a while to work out. I'm not sure how long it would be. I need to get them moving on that ASAP. I do think you have the right approach though. I just need to buy time. The only "problem" is that I know I would like the job in Florida and I'm not so sure that I'd like the job here...but it's still paying a lot more than I'm getting now. So the dilemma continues.

[/ QUOTE ]

in this case here are your choices as I see them:
1) wait out the two weeks, and try to get more; push the FL job to hurry. if they are dragging their feet though, it's going to take more like a month.
2) take the local job, then quit if you get the florida job. this is a somewhat douche thing to do but it's not totally terrible.
3) forget about the local job and roll the dice
Old 09-15-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No...I told them I'd need 2 weeks. The only problem is that the Florida thing might take a while to work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bird in the hand should be the prevailing wisdom. I wouldn't worry about having to burn the bridge in a short period of time. Take the current offer. Work on the FL offer. If the FL offer never comes to fruition, you at least still have a better paying job where you currently live.