Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 08-31-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Saved by God?

A women survived Katrina by clinging to a tree altho she lost all her possessions. She was interviewed afterwards and put her survival down to the intervention of God. If she believes God has this ability, why does she not feel anger that he thru this disaster at her in the first place?

If god intervenes, then surely he must intervene totally. This is something I have never been able to understand. How do the religious reconcile that some are saved and some are not?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Saved by God?

When they are saved, God heard their call and responded by showing mercy on a faithful Christian. When they die, it was all part of God's greater plan and there's some significant reason he had for it. When someone else is saved, God took mercy on them anyway, and if he dies- he should have put his faith in Jesus.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A women survived Katrina by clinging to a tree altho she lost all her possessions. She was interviewed afterwards and put her survival down to the intervention of God. If she believes God has this ability, why does she not feel anger that he thru this disaster at her in the first place?

If god intervenes, then surely he must intervene totally. This is something I have never been able to understand. How do the religious reconcile that some are saved and some are not?

[/ QUOTE ]

The weakness of the spirit of the less educated religious person is not news.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When they are saved, God heard their call and responded by showing mercy on a faithful Christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does God have a choice if he will save them or not? He hears all calls right? Does he just save the sincere? Are the rest insincere?

[ QUOTE ]
When they die, it was all part of God's greater plan and there's some significant reason he had for it

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has some great plan doesn't that negate the existance of free will?

[ QUOTE ]
When someone else is saved, God took mercy on them anyway, and if he dies- he should have put his faith in Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that if you are a true believer you have a chance to win in the mercy lottery during any act of God and that if you aren't 'you made your bed' etc?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When they are saved, God heard their call and responded by showing mercy on a faithful Christian. When they die, it was all part of God's greater plan and there's some significant reason he had for it.

[/ QUOTE ]So, saving the faithful wasn't always part of the plan? He only saved them when they called? Why did they need to call? Didn't God know they were in trouble?

Also, I'll bet there are a fair number of non-faithful who call out in times of trouble. So, don't say that God only recognized the faithful when they called out, or some such.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do the religious reconcile that some are saved and some are not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I most certainly did not say nor imply that the above given reasons were logical, reasonable, or intelligent. I simply answered your question truthfully. I'm not religious, btw.

Edit: I wanted to add that I think it's great my post was taken as a literal defense- it reminded me people must actually make serious claims like that- and made me feel better about my use of reason.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:40 AM

She just feels lucky, had this been a Friday night, god would have been busy giving someone the strength to catch a pass and would have missed the message.

It's pretty one-sided about the anger, as I bet the most faithful would eschew clinging to the tree and just put their trust in the lawd for safe delivery, but we don't know if those people are angry, because they drowned.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:06 PM

I heard that all of the people who died from Katrina so far were either fags or jews. This lady must have been Christian.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:36 PM

I suspect most of you have heard this in one form or another:
--------
A man sat listening to flood warnings on his radio on a stormy night. He was a religious man so he did not worry.

The storms came, the rains came. the rains continued and slowly the waters began to rise.

It continued raining, the waters now flooded his ground floor. The whole town was flooded. The emergency services began evacuating the residents.

Rescuers in a boat knocked at his door and urged him to jump into the boat and to be taken to a place of safety.

He steadfastly refused. "God will save me, rescue others whose need is greater than mine".... The rescuers left.

The rains continued unabatedly. The waters continued to rise. By now the flood waters were 10ft high and the man was forced to go upstairs. He was Kneeling and praying when he heard a banging on the window.

"come on, get into the boat and we will take you to higher ground." the rescuers shouted.

"No!.. I'm ok, I have faith in God, he will save me, go and rescue others who are in more need." He replied. The rescuers left....

The storms continued into the night and so the flood waters continued rising. By now the waters had risen 20ft and the man was forced to climb onto the roof of his house.
He was clinging desperately onto the chimney stack.

He was dazzled by a search light from above and a voice from a loudhaler urged him to climb the ladder and board the helicopter to be taken to a place of safety.

He still refused, insisting that his God would save him. .....The helicopter left.

The storm raged on and the waters continued to rise. Sadly the man eventually drowned.....

He died and went to heavan.

As he arrived at the pearly gates, he had to ask God one question, "You know that I've always been a religious man and have lived a righteous life, what I can't understand is, Why didn't you save me from the floods?"

God replied, "I sent two boats and a helicopter, what the [censored] else did you want?"
Old 08-31-2005, 05:44 PM

God chose whom he would save before the foundations of the earth. He does save some and not others.
He does this to make his glory and power known to those of whom he has saved.