Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Would you have said anything? (Players asks to see mucked cards)

The kid is a total loser, but you should have just ignored him, or at least made your comments a little less confrontational. Embarassing the kid like that was only going to get the table all riled up, and that's not fun for anyone.

Saying something like "He's allowed to see the cards, but people usually only want to see the cards if they think there was collusion, I'm not sure why he wants to see the cards in this instance", would have made you come off a little less confrontational, I think.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Do rail birds have the right to ask to see cards?

Railbirds can also ask to see cards, however, the discarded cards do not play if a railbird makes the request.

We have all seen the moron ask to see losing cards, has anybody actually seen the "collusion" this rule is suppose to ferret out?
Old 08-01-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Hat of the Month Club

Clearly, someone needs to start making Hat O' the Month Club t-shirts with this guy's face on them.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
has anybody actually seen the "collusion" this rule is suppose to ferret out?

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time this rule actually caught collusion was in the summer of '72... 1872
Old 08-01-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Railbirds can also ask to see cards, however, the discarded cards do not play if a railbird makes the request.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest that you and the poster you responded to find out what the term "railbird" means.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:54 PM

I agree with one of the other posters in that you should probably wait to do something like this until it happens to you. I think the kid did not act in good etiquette, but let him stay cool and idiotic as long as possible.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:11 PM

What you did was -EV. Remember, don't tap the tank. If you really felt the need to make a point, you should have waited until he tried to do it with your cards. Clearly, the kid didn't understand the rules and the dealer was not savvy enough to start mixing the cards for the next hand while pretending to not hear the kid's request.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest that you and the poster you responded to find out what the term "railbird" means.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this notion. And the correct response to the hat-of-the-month club is a firm, "So what if I am?" That'll show him.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:34 PM

"When I say rail bird, I mean a guy who was in the hand pre-flop but folded", and to be more clear not someone who is out of the game, and to be more clear not railbird in the traditional since, and to be more clear not someone who hangs around a poker room who watches the games and/or is looking to get into action but as I defined it. .I am really sorry for the confusion and I hope that helps. Just didnt know the term for "who was in the hand pre-flop but folded" that would fit in the subject line, which was the reason for the clarifier "When I say rail bird, I mean a guy who was in the hand pre-flop but folded."
Old 08-01-2005, 04:15 PM

This happened to me just yesterday playing 3/6. Heads Up I called a blue collar looking dude's river bet and he shows trips. I muck my top 2 pair and he asks to see them. Dealer just placates the dude's request and shows my cards. I ask Dude why and he says "I paid to see them". I replied "I called you. But fine, I have nothing to hide". Kind of weird and sort of pissed me off, but tried to act ambivalent.

A few minutes later it's me and Dude heads up showdown. I call his bet again and he shows a straight made on river. I muck my hand again, (made trip nines on the flop with Q9s) and again dude asks dealer to show my cards. Dealer placates again. As dealer shows I say "THREE NINES YOU WON!" irritatedly. Apparently I am the only one who thinks this is bad ettiquette. I'm not sure if he wants to get a read on me or what, but now I am pissed.

Later I see that he does this EVERY TIME he is in a showdown and the dealer just lets him get away with it. I am incredulous but gradually just start accepting that he is a butthead and try to ignore him.

Should I have asked for a ruling or something? I didn't want to cause trouble and this is 3/6 after all....