Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 05-06-2005, 03:57 PM

Default How close is it?

Final 2 tables, $55. We all have already $140, but the bigger money is obviously at the top (1: ~$3000, 2: $2000, 3: $1300 etc). I'm in a pretty healthy position somewhere among the top 5-6 or so.

MP1 is aggressive, but not a maniac. Not a first time he open-mini-raises with these blinds. CO is a complete calling stastion. Flat calls raises like crazy in any position, also post-flop. I don't know much about BB, although I guess he is pretty aggressive from the few previous hands I've seen him playing.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (7 handed) converter

UTG (t28528)
MP1 (t11640)
MP2 (t48621)
CO (t73533)
Button (t6572)
Hero (t27430)
BB (t26462)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t4000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t4000, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t3000, BB calls t2000.

I wasn't crazy about calling here, but the pot was getting very big (~12,000 when it got to me, plus a good chance BB is coming along too) and I could afford it. I didn't have a real plan for post-flop, and I wasn't going to commit suicide if an A flops, so usualy I feel comfortable here. Anybody plays differently pf?

Flop: (t16700) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t6000</font>,

My idea here was to get a feel of how people like their hands. I was going to fold to a RR coming from MP1, which might represent an overpair here. I wasn't afraid of any of CO action. The only trouble could be BB.

<font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t22362</font>,

BB pushed here VERY fast. Therefore, I didn't put him on a real monster (set, straight), but probably something that might use some protection (I could be wrong, of course). Since he could have called PF with almost anything, I don't see any problem imagining him even with some X9 I beat (best case scenarion for me). But of course, 2p was the most probable holding (by far?), IMO, but certainly not alone there.

MP1 and CO folded. Action is on me and I'm getting about 1:2.8 on my money. A call?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: How close is it?

Looks like a call to me. Did you consider pushing preflop?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:07 PM

I dont see MP1 having enough chips that you can get off your hand here if you flop an A. I really don't like the preflop call. Push if he's really lose, fold otherwise.

Unless I'm missing something here, your bet on the flop basically puts MP1 all-in.

As for the call, meh. either way. I think he has 910/9J enough to call.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:08 PM

I dont like pushing preflop here. You are going to be [censored] if your called. You have pretty good odds to try and hit a flush draw or TPTK. I would probably just call.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like pushing preflop here. You are going to be [censored] if your called.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can say that about any steal. The CO calling behind helps you because now MP1 isn't closing the action and may have to end up beating 2 hands instead of 1. Also, you're not worried about CO since he's calling w/ inferior hands anyway.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider pushing preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always consider pushing preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I didn't feel it was good timing for pushing, for several reasons. I was playing rather aggressively, and needed to change gears a bit. Another thing is that I don't particularly like making moves like these with marginal aces, I might prefer complete trash (i.e, live cards) but it really depends on the feel of the situation. But maybe it was a good spot for pushing, after all.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider pushing preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always consider pushing preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I didn't feel it was good timing for pushing, for several reasons. I was playing rather aggressively, and needed to change gears a bit. Another thing is that I don't particularly like making moves like these with marginal aces, I might prefer complete trash (i.e, live cards) but it really depends on the feel of the situation. But maybe it was a good spot for pushing, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the above response regarding the reasons I'd push. Also, something I didn't mention, there's 12k in that pot when it gets to you. You'd pick up 50% of your stack, which is always tempting to try to take w/out seeing a flop.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Im not that worried about the CO.
I guess if MP is pretty loose, or his min-raises have been junk, pushing is fine. otherwise i think you will be dominated enough to make pushing suck. Cause he isn't going to be folding AT or AJ or most PP's
Old 05-06-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless I'm missing something here, your bet on the flop basically puts MP1 all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. You can pretty much ignore my comments about folding to a MP1 raise. And you are basically correct that I'm in a tough spot to fold it if an ace flops because of stack sizes. Not completely impossible, though, but not far from it.

I agree about the PF call being problematic. I really don't like it too much myself.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:23 PM

given MP1s stack I think checking the flop has to be right.