Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-08-2004, 08:28 PM

Default 5-10 NL, TPTK when the flush gets there.

I have 2000, guy behind me has 2400, guy in front of me has 600 or so. I get dealt AcKs in MP. One limper to me, I make it 50 to go. One caller behind, blinds fold, limper calls. Flop is Kh4c5c. Checked to me, I bet 200, called in both places. Turn is the 9c. Checked to me, I bet 300 again. Called behind, limper folds. River is the 5s. I lead out for 300 planning to fold to a raise. Comments?

-Evan
Old 10-08-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL, TPTK when the flush gets there.

[ QUOTE ]
I have 2000, guy behind me has 2400, guy in front of me has 600 or so. I get dealt AcKs in MP. One limper to me, I make it 50 to go. One caller behind, blinds fold, limper calls. Flop is Kh4c5c. Checked to me, I bet 200, called in both places. Turn is the 9c. Checked to me, I bet 300 again. Called behind, limper folds. River is the 5s. I lead out for 300 planning to fold to a raise. Comments?

-Evan

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you bet the river? I cant tell if it's a blocking bet (what exactly are you blocking, then? Maybe a busted straight from making a big bet?) The pot size is 1350 on the river or thereabout, (correct me if I'm wrong) or is this an attempt to get some value out out of an opponent's KQ?

Since you said you planned on folding if the river gets raised, it was a blocking bet, but I dont know why you're protecting the integrity of your hand on the end; because the river paired the 5, I think your opponent *unless apt to making big river bet bluffs* will check it down behind you. He's NOT likely to have the flush, as you hold the key A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] but he's also not going to fold a low flush just because the board paired for just a mere 300; the pot has gotten too big. If that was your intent, you need to bet more. If anything he'll raise you with everything you beat, namely a full boat, (which is fine, you say you'll fold) probably just call with a flush, (although I doubt he has called you down with a flush) but aside from perhaps KQ, I dont see a hand with which he calls that you beat. I'm more inclined to check here; I probably would pay off a bet, because quads are unlikely, so the only full house I'd expect to see would be 4s full.

How would you play the river if the board didn't pair? Would you represent the nut flush trying to make a set fold?
Old 10-09-2004, 08:04 AM

What do you beat after he calls the turn? How loose is villain, would he really cold-call a raise with KQ?
Old 10-10-2004, 10:06 AM

You have a tendency to keep firing huge bets with these medium-strength, TPTK hands, Evan. I don't think it's the right move against strong opposition.

You raise preflop and get called on the turn by a strong player on that board, your AK is beat, and your river bet is at best getting you a cheap showdown which you will lose.

I think the turn calls for a medium, blocking bet, and the river a check/call or check/fold.