Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 09:09 AM

Default How Bad is Bad?

I was over at a friends house Monday night working on his router.

He's playing in a Party $10 Sng.. early in the tourney and all players are still in with average stacks.

2 limpers, SB completes and he checks with rags from the BB.

Flop comes AJT rainbow. Everybody checks.
Turn is a Q. Everybody checks.
River is a K.

Board is AKQJT with no flush possible.

SB checks and I tell him to go all-in for the heck of it.

He pushes in his stack AND 2 OF THE REMAINING 3 FOLD!!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: How Bad is Bad?

they probably figured his kicker was higher...

"let's see you have a straight T to A with a K kicker...aww too bad I have the same straight with an A kicker!"
Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 AM

On Paradise, I saw someone fold (heads up on the river) ina 2-4 game no less! to the board of 55A55...upon telling this story to my other table; one scholar said, "well the guy probably didn't have an ace".

Gotta love folding the nuts.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:57 AM

its a move ive used over and over again and it works on occassion. certainly occassion enough to make it more than profitable.

i taught a few mates to play around 8 or 9 months back, the first time i used it on them they couldnt believe it. one of the two in the hand folded (after rightly pointing out i could only beat the full house on board with an unlikely four aces). so when i bet pot, it was the second guy who beleived the reasoning and called.

i think it went like, why did you bet a hand you couldnt beat us with. i responded, you folded, therefor i did win.

gotta know NL holdem is a game of nuts, namely whose are biggest.

Phill
Old 08-11-2004, 10:44 AM

I probably shouldn't post this, but I fell into this category last night.

Down to 5 in a SnG and I got KJo in the BB. I check in.

Flop comes T9 rag and for some reason I forgot that there are Queens in the deck and new I had an open ended straight.

When an 8 came on the turn I new that I had the nuts and cold called his bet.

When the river came another rag, I calmly re-raised all-in.

As he's sitting there thinking about whether to call, I realized what I did. In a panic, I'm looking for the Undo button..

Classic moron.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:06 PM

Ahh but folding the nuts....thats more my point, your scenario theres still is a hand that can beat the board...when the board is the nuts...(bway, quads with an ace kicker).and someone folds...its just sub-moronic.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:12 PM

did he just have to call a small bet on the river or was it an all in? if the pot was small and the guy went all in, the rake would kill them both and wind up losing money yes?
Old 08-11-2004, 03:21 PM

2-4 LIMIT! 4 dollar bet pot was 48 I believe. Whenever I see this clown, I always ask them why they folded, they never answer...
Old 08-11-2004, 03:54 PM

That's why it's always a good idea to go all-in when the absolute nuts are on board - I've seen people fold several times in this situation.

Play poker enough (especially online at low limit) and you could probably fill a book with crazy plays.

My favorite was the woman who called every raise up to the river in a SNG, so that the pot was up to 2800 and it was just her and one player left. The river card comes up and the raiser bets. The woman now only has 10 chips left. And... she folds! She had put in at least 1400 chips but wouldn't part with those last 10. Never found out what she had, but the raiser showed his cards and won with a queen high.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite was the woman who called every raise up to the river in a SNG, so that the pot was up to 2800 and it was just her and one player left. The river card comes up and the raiser bets. The woman now only has 10 chips left. And... she folds! She had put in at least 1400 chips but wouldn't part with those last 10. Never found out what she had, but the raiser showed his cards and won with a queen high.

[/ QUOTE ]

in that case, i'm going to have to take up a new strategy with morons.

if i'm going to go all in heads up on the turn and i have my opponent covered, i'll instead bet all but a very small amount of his/her chips (particularly if i'm bluffing). that way he/she will have another chance to fold when i go all in on the river.