Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2004, 12:53 PM

Default How did I play this?

Foxwood 4/8

Typical 4/8. Raise gets no respect, 4-6 see flop almost every hand.

I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP.

5 or 6 see the flop of Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for a one raise. Guy who raised has been playing a lot of (trash) hands, hitting some, missing others, but loves to be the aggressor if he's in the hand and gets a peice of the flop (and I mean any peice, gutshot draws bottom pair etc), doesn't seem to be up or down much since I've been at the table. About 30 mins.

Checked to raiser who doesn't disappoint, I call with a couple of others.

Turn: 2 (not a diamond)

Checked to raiser who again doesn't disapoint. I CR, folded to raiser who re-raises, I re-raise, he re-raises, I call.

River: pairs the 2 (again not the diamond).

I check, he bets, I call

Comments?
Old 03-29-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: How did I play this?

What is your position to the preflop raiser and how many are there to act between you and the raiser?

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 03-29-2004, 01:08 PM

My memory is a little hazy as I played the tourney and this happened about 8am in the morning but this is more or less the way it was. Raiser was in the CO or Button. Pre flop 1 or 2 before me, 1 or 2 or 3 after. We lose 1or 2 of each after the flop and all fold for no bets when we go to war after the turn.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:13 PM

There is a very important reason why I asked. I think you missed a lot of bets.

You should bet the flop hope many call between you and the PFR and then you can call, hope the others call and bet out on the turn, trapping the players between you again. If he raises then you can go to war as you did.

Check-raising the turn and shutting out the over-calls is losing you money.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 03-29-2004, 01:54 PM

Thanks for replying Joe,

I was afraid that this might of been the reponse. At the time I was happy with my play but in retrospect I think this was just because we went to war on the turn and built a big pot.

FWIW here was my thinking during the hand.
I didn't bet the flop as I was almost certain he would raise and I didn't want to lose anyone at that stage. I thought him betting first in (Check to the raiser was obligatory it seemed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) would get no respect whereas a raise from him might cause some folds.

As for the turn my thinking was that any set, made flush, str8 and (almost certainly) any 2 pair & King Flush draw would at least call.

I'll post the result a little later.
Paul
Old 03-29-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Result

Raiser had K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

One silver lining. I didn't tilt. In fact the guy next to me said 'I don't think I could just sit there and carry on'. I just shrugged in a '$hit happens' sort of way and said 'well at least the board pairing saved me bet or 2', and I meant it. Played for about 30 mins longer (as planned) and didn't change my game. (Argh, now I see the problem [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])