Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-27-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Help evaluating my game (new to STT forum, not to 2p2)

I'm generally an MTT forum regular, and occasionally am in the small stakes limit forum. In the last month and a half though I've really focused on SnGs as my primary breadwinner. I think I've done well so far, and I definatly feel that being good at SnGs improves ones MTT ability, and vice versa. I've read the FAQ here, but I thought I'd post some stats and ask people what are the things they look at to try to find holes in their game. I'm talking about meta game issues, how they may be different from MTTs, and what ideal stats are. In the limit forum people talk a lot about vpip and pf raising stats (among others) as important in analyzing their game. Basically I'm asking how can I evaluate my game in a simiar way? Here are my current stats (only for 30+3 on party, that's pretty much all I play).

# of Tourneys: 544
ROI%: 19.20
Finish ITM: 38.6
Avg. Finish 4.66
1st:74, 2nd: 76, 3rd: 59
Old 10-27-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Help evaluating my game (new to STT forum, not to 2p2)

Best way to improve your sng game is to buy SNGPT (eastbay has the link in his profile). Keep testing out common scenarios and to see how well you push/call allins preflop.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:56 PM

Based on the # of games you've played so far and those stats, you're doing very well.

Based on stats alone, the thing to look for IMO is ITM, ROI, finish distro, and % of games you finish in the top 4 - which can give you an idea on how you're playing vs variance. You're ITM, ROI and finish distro are very good for the 544 games you've played.

SNGPT, as stated above, is an excellent tool to further improve your push/fold game.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on the # of games you've played so far and those stats, you're doing very well.

Based on stats alone, the thing to look for IMO is ITM, ROI, finish distro, and % of games you finish in the top 4 - which can give you an idea on how you're playing vs variance. You're ITM, ROI and finish distro are very good for the 544 games you've played.

SNGPT, as stated above, is an excellent tool to further improve your push/fold game.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I'm just wondering if there are any OTHER stats you guys look at to evaluate your meta-game. I read the FAQ so I realize I'm doing well as far the %s, but maybe more specific vpip numbers and such?

Incidently, I find Giga's block theory really helped me here. I really believe it was the missing piece to my game, and made me go from being probably (I didn't really play SnGs much until I ran into gigatheory in the MTT forum) a breakeven player to where I am now. I find his theory helps to both keep yourself from being weak tight, and punishing other players from being weak tight (which I think overall is the most profitable weakness to exploit in SnGs).
Old 10-27-2005, 05:05 PM

You aren't going to improve your STT game by looking at your stats. Study your hand histories. Post hands. Spend some time studying the math to improve your understanding of the game.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:13 PM

Stats like VPIP aren't what you should be looking at. Sng stats over a large sample can point to possible problems (eg too many early bustouts), but they're nowhere near as useful as in ring.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: OT-Help evaluating my game (new to STT forum, not to 2p2)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Incidently, I find Giga's block theory really helped me here. I really believe it was the missing piece to my game, and made me go from being probably (I didn't really play SnGs much until I ran into gigatheory in the MTT forum) a breakeven player to where I am now. I find his theory helps to both keep yourself from being weak tight, and punishing other players from being weak tight (which I think overall is the most profitable weakness to exploit in SnGs).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi.
What is this block theory, and where can I find it.
Maybe someone has a link?

//M
Old 10-27-2005, 06:19 PM

perfect time to learn to search... block theory
Old 10-27-2005, 06:34 PM

Try "An Anthology of 2+2 Wisdom on MTTs" in the MTT forum. It's a sticky. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: it's been a while since I read that, but I do remember that many people didn't really 'believe' Gigabet, and some saying that he just wanted to justify his bad call/push with certain hands he had posted. Has his block theory been accepted? Or is it like.. 50% loves it and 50% hates it?