Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-11-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Set of Aces with a Turn Decision

5-10 NL on UB, 6 players or so. I have been playing in the game for about an hour and have been very agressive preflop and postflop. I am UTG(1100) and raise to 40 with black aces. Folded around to BB who is smart and tricky and has me covered, who calls. Flop is J72, two hearts. He checks, I bet 80, he checkraises to 220. On two or three previous hands other players have checkraised me after calling my pfr and I have folded. I decide that it is quite likely that I am ahead in this spot, and to call and let the turn card and his action define his hand. I called thinking that if I reraise the flop, Ill either win the pot straight out, be a marginal favorite over a big draw, or get my whole stack in as a big dog. The turn is the ace of hearts. He checks and I, with 500 and change in the pot and 800 in my stack...
Old 12-11-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Set of Aces with a Turn Decision

the fact that it's the ace of hearts is huge.
if he was trying to get tricky on the flop with a flush draw it would most likely be the nut flush draw, and the ace of hearts on the turn cancels that out.

at this point the only thing you are worried about is another heart on the river, however it is hard to put him on a hand that has a heart in it.

would he call you preflop with KJ,QJ, J10? hard to imagine unless it was suited....what suit was the jack?

i would think you are in a real good spot here, i think there is a good chance he flopped a set.

so now the question is how to get the rest of his stack.
here is why i like pushing on the turn:

from his perspective it is unlikely that you would call the CR on the flop with the flush draw, you would most likely push if you are going to draw to the flush, because if it doesn't come you are facing another big bet.
so its hard for him to put you on the flush draw.

thats why i think you should push the turn.

interested to hear how this turns out.
i'm going to be away from the computer for a while, so if you get to this in the next few minutes PM me the results so i can know, but you can still get some more feedback.

thanks.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:38 PM

Just to clarify, the seven, two, and ace were of hearts.

-Evan
Old 12-13-2004, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at this point the only thing you are worried about is another heart on the river, however it is hard to put him on a hand that has a heart in it.

would he call you preflop with KJ,QJ, J10?

[/ QUOTE ]
What about JxJh?