Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Buying used Audi... Should low price set off alarm bells?

I need a new car, and found a used 1999 Audi A8 Quattro with 102,000 miles in "immaculate" condition for 5k. The book for one of these with this amount of miles in "good" condition from a private seller is around 16k. It looks like a great car.

I talked to the seller and he said he buys and sells a lot of used cars, and this one he got from a friend in a different state for 4200. He said he re-painted it and cleaned it up a lot, and it runs perfectly. I jokingly asked if he stole it over the phone and he kind of nervously laughed (maybe it was a normal laugh, it was over the phone and he I've never met the guy). The price being this low worried me. He seemed like a nice guy in his mid-late 20s. I am going to see the car tomorrow.

I have no experience with cars, especially buying them. I have a few questions: Is this low of pricing normal? Is this a good car; does anyone have experience with it? Should I get a mechanic to look at it before I buy? I was gonna do a car fax report, but realized I needed information I didnt have. Should I get the car's number and do one before I buy? If it actually is stolen (which I think is a long-shot btw) is there any reason, moral concerns aside, I shouldnt buy it? With a deal like this, should I act fast so noone else can snatch it from under me? Anything else I should know?

Sorry for the semi-long and boring post but I've never bought a car before and could really use this info before tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Buying used Audi... Should low price set off alarm bells?

it has likely been wrecked and rebuilt. for what you're spending, it is worth your time and $$ to hire a mechanic to check it out. also, try carfax.com to get the history, and maybe the DMV for records, too.

sounds way too good. if it's really straight... nice. very nice.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:37 AM

Maybe he got sick of paying super high maintenance costs.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:47 AM

Ya, in the bit of research I did i found that repairs were way overpriced. It seems like this would be made up for in the price, however, if this works out.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:59 AM

Maybe it's a flood-damaged car from the hurricane.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:33 AM

This is an easy run screaming from deal. Maybe if it was 12K instead of a 16k you could say the guy just mispriced the car. You already know the car was in a accident (why else are they repainting it). This screams salvage title (which may have undergone title laundering). Besides given the problems people have with new audis, do you really want to be buying a6 year old one with 100K on the clock?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:38 AM

Get the VIN number and go to Carfax and buy a vehicle history report. They collect data on cars from a whole bunch of sources and compile it for you. They will even offer a buyback guarantee if the history of the car is clean and then you have major problems. Poke around the site for a bit.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:21 AM

I'd just say be careful. I'd want to have a mechanic check it out. Having a salvage title doesn't mean it's a piece of junk now. If I'm not mistaken my dad's van has a salvage title. It was wrecked at the factory so they couldn't sell it new, but it was fixed up and is fine (it is different when the factory repairs and sells it). Don't pass up a good deal because it seems to good to be true, but don't be a moron either. A mechanic is key. Also, ask for maintenance records for the car, and not some handwritten crap either (although this is sometimes used legitimately when someone doesn't save the Wal-mart receipt showing that they bought oil). You want receipts. You want to see documented oil changes. By now you'd like to see a transmission fluid change (not a necessity, but expect to get it done right away if it hasn't been done).

Oh, and one other thing, have a mechanic go over it.

Will
Old 10-29-2005, 06:03 AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I doubt it was damaged in a hurricane as I live in the northwest. Is it really that bad if it is a "salvage" title? There seems to be a bit of disagreement and I don't know what exactly this means (or more specifically exactly how it changes value). I don't see how it could bump the price down to 40%.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides given the problems people have with new audis

[/ QUOTE ]

Have new audis really been having problems? J.D. Power Ratings reviewed this model year very well, but was less kind to the newer A8s. All the other reviews I have found since I posted this have been quite positive.

I guess right now my plan is to see the car, talk to the guy, get the carfax report, and then if everything looks good get a mechanic to look at it.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:06 AM

A salvaged title means the car has been deemed "totalled" by an insurance agency.

That could mean the car was near destroyed, or just damaged to the point that repairing it costs more than the car is worth.

I wouldn't bother with it. New paint job screams bad news.

Also- you either wont be able to get insurance for the salvaged title car, or it will be 5-10X mor expensive than a clean title.