Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Ethics re: buying then returning stuff

You can "rent" video games (movies/CD's) for free by buying it from the store...come home, play (watch) it as much as you want. Then take it back to a different store. Since all stores have a "no return" policy on this type of stuff...you take it back without the receipt, say you just got it as a gift, and it doesn't work (screen freezes, skips, whatever). They let you even exchange for the same title. Now you have an unopened product that you take back to the original store with the receipt...full refund granted. Just can't do it often at the same store
Old 09-07-2005, 03:06 AM

This only works because Americans at large are honest and possess good ethics.

This would never work in Continental Europe. In Germany you have a week, need the receipt of the store and in most cases the product needs to be unused. If they grant you the return very often you do not get cash - only a voucher that is valid only at the same store.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One time I was on a lacrosse trip which was scheduled to be played outdoors. When we arrive at the school, there's still snow on the field and were playing indoors. I went to the local K-Mart and bought their nicest pair of sneakers $29.95 a pair, only to return them before I left town. I paid the price though. My feet badly blistered up. I couldn't walk for over a week without my feet hurting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have bought those sneakers with the velcro straps that old men wear. They are only $9, and they're sick.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:19 AM

When I was younger I used to go out to Avon, CO (Vail/Beaver Creek) with friends every winter break.

We'd drive out from Wisconsin in a couple SUVs packed to the gills.

Since the condos we rented had TV only, we always went to the local Wal*Mart and "bought" the nicest mini stero system they had so we could have tunes during our stay.

It was subsequently returned at the end of our stay, but we kept the remote in the plastic wrap (still worked anyways), and made absolutely sure the stereo itself remained in brand new condition.

I'm not saying it was okay, but we needed tunes, man.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:20 AM

Yah, costco has a return policy for its members thats just unbelievable.

you could basically "rent" a big screen TV for 2 years and then return it w/ receipt.

i dont think they're losing money on this, and if it were theft, they would probably change their return policy.

i think the only things that do not apply to that policy are computers.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:22 AM

Think of some way to covertly mess it up for them. Something like trashing the packaging so they can't return it. You could even try calling the store and telling them what they're doing. The people who do this crap are going to ruin easy returns for all of the ethical and honest people. They should not be allowed to do it.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think they're losing money on this

[/ QUOTE ]

explain how the hell they are NOT losing money on this.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 04:06 AM

No class--shame.

The class act is the arbitrage I do with HalfPrice books and B&N. I'll find a new book at HalfPrice that is still being sold at B&N. Buy it for $6.98 at HalfPrice and get $24.98 credit at B&N.

My poker library is being built very cheaply, my man. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 06:03 AM

BestBuy does this but you have to buy the extended warranty. Enough people probably fail to take advantage of the warranty that they make money in it.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:07 AM

Tell your freind to forget the penny ante [censored]. Once every year or two I convince a car dealership that I would like to test drive a car for a week. It's usually a caddy. Just so I can go on vacation, and not have to rent a car.