Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 07:52 PM

Default does playing stud screw up your holdem game? (+some B&M stuff)

It sure seems to for me. I am a half-decent holdem player (not quite 2BB/100 at 1/2 6 max and breakeven at 3/6) and i've noticed that my hold 'em play has been going down hill over the last 20k hands or so... winrate dropping, i'm being too aggressive, my starting hand selection is all over the place... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

and the only thing i can think of is that i started playing lots of stud at about the same time... maybe it's that i play mostly hi-lo. i don't know... I'm wondering if anyone else's hold 'em game has suffered since you began concentrating on stud, or have you noticed the opposite?

I also notice that i have a hard time shifting gears back into holdem when i've been playing lots of stud; During bonus time i almost play 1/2 6 max hold 'em exclusivly, when i have no bonus to clear, it's nothing but stud/8- when i get the bonus and start to play, my brain is still in stud mode, and it takes me a while (usually about 100$, unfourtunatly) to get mindset right. maybe i should be re-reading SSHE more...

well, i'd like to hear people's experiences, coping stratigies, etc... sorry for the rambling and kind of pointless post- here's some stud content:

I was playing some 4/8 last night at diamond lil's, a cardroom in renton washington (i live in seattle)- it holds about 10 tables and is a pretty nice place, although the comps suck and the chairs are uncomfortable. anywhoo, I noticed that there was an omaha /8 kill game going and an intrest list for stud! stud at a cardroom! i lack the patience to drive all the way to auburn (about 40min from my place) to play in the rock garden of a 10/20 game that only goes on saturdays (or so i hear- i haven't been there), but i really want to play some live stud. i got my name on the list, and sat at a hold 'em table.

After an hour, i was still the only person intrested in stud. i started chatting it up with the guys at my table, asking them if anybody else would be intrested in getting a stud or stud/8 game going, they all looked at me like i must be nuts. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] (not saying i'm not, but you should have seen the looks on their faces)

When i left about four hours later (right after my KK ran into a LAG with AA [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]), i was still the only person intrested in stud. i asked the floorman when the game goes, and he looks at me and says, "well, i've been working here for a year..."

nevermind.

appearently there's a 1-4 spread limit game at tualip up in marysville, but there's no way i'm driving 40 min to play 1-4. *sighs*
Old 04-23-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: does playing stud screw up your holdem game? (+some B&M stuff)

No offense, but I stopped reading after:

[ QUOTE ]
well, i'd like to hear people's experiences, coping stratigies, etc... sorry for the rambling and kind of pointless post- here's some stud content:

[/ QUOTE ]

I turned to Stud after burning out on Holdem. Now I’m a little burned out on Stud.

Went back to Holdem an am doing better than ever. I seem to be able to read hands better.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:00 AM

I don't feel like I have that much difficulty switching between games. I played some in a home game that was half stud/8 and half hold'em, and while they are completely different games, especially with that particular crew, it wasn't too hard for me to adjust. Canterbury spreads HE, stud, stud/8, and O/8, and I play all of them, and have played each at about every limit they offer, $2/4 through $30/60.

Stud is just so much more fun than those silly flop games. It's not enough to get me to move back to CT, but I think about it.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Hello,bholdr! If U play stud well and have a problem with hold\'em,

re-read/study the hold'em "basics". It's ALWAYS a good idea to go over the fundamentals--EVEN if doing so requires some work. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Your hold'em game should not be affected by your stud game and vice-versa.
HappyPokering, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
SittingBull
Old 04-23-2005, 04:22 AM

Hey Beholdr. I should prolly just PM you but I already typed this and I'm lazy.

(1) the limit Omaha8 game at Diamond Lils is a freakin ATM machine. Seriously. PLAY in that game any time the wait list is less then an hour. Small sample (40 hours) but Statking says I'm up 9xBB per hour.

(2) Stud is dead at Diamond Lils (as you discovered).

(3) The 10/20 game died. (You are talking Muckleshoot, right?)

(4) Tualalip the 4/8 kill Stud8 died and there's no spread-limit Stud there anymore either. You can occassionally get the 10/20 O8 kill going but rarely. The 2/5 blinds NLHE is the best game at tualalip by far but the 10/20 kill LHE game is pretty raw too. I played it last week and it was five to flop, 2-3 to the river every hand no matter the action (2am drunks).

(5) All we have left is 1-5 spread limit with .50 ante at Muckleshoot. It's a fun time. Lot of old dudes flirting with cocktail waitress and chasing dead flushes.

If you ever want to get a Stud8 or mixed home game going PM me man. I shower regularly.

Per the switch games thing: I've had that same problem. I like playing a variety of games I think it slowed my learning curve a bit. After a year or so of playing multiple games regularly I no longer find my gears changing so slowly. My general strategy when I'm playing a game I haven't played much lately is to play ueber tight until I get my bearings.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:01 AM

TO both you and bholdr, I will be in Washington for about a week next month. Definitely going to try and play some cards there. Interested?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:12 AM

for sure. will you be staying in the city?

no political discussions, though... (fat chance!)

let me know.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last post on this cause I dotn want to hijack your thread. I will be attending a conference that week up in Whidbey Island but I am willing to drive down most nights because I dont have anything better to do. Also I have a very good friend who lives near the University district as well.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last post on this cause I dotn want to hijack your thread. I will be attending a conference that week up in Whidbey Island but I am willing to drive down most nights because I dont have anything better to do. Also I have a very good friend who lives near the University district as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in the U-district but with a new baby my pad isn't the best place for a game. Shall we retire to PM and get an e-mail thread going?