Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 06-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Can I get away from this hand?

Final four of 30+3 on pokerroom, I'm in sb and second in chips (3800) while bb is first in chips (5200). Utg and utg+1 both fold and i call other half of 300 blind with 6 8 suited. Flop comes 4 6 8 rainbow and I bet out 425 and bb calls. On turn a king comes and I bet 1000 and bb calls quickly. On river a jack comes (no flush) and i go all in, and bb calls and has 5 7 (the nuts), and I am out in 4th with no money. Was there anyway I could have prevented myself from losing my whole stack here, How should I have played this hand differently?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Can I get away from this hand?

i do the same thing. thats poker
Old 06-10-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Final four of 30+3 on pokerroom, I'm in sb and second in chips (3800) while bb is first in chips (5200). Utg and utg+1 both fold and i call other half of 300 blind with 6 8 suited. Flop comes 4 6 8 rainbow and I bet out 425 and bb calls. On turn a king comes and I bet 1000 and bb calls quickly. On river a jack comes (no flush) and i go all in, and bb calls and has 5 7 (the nuts), and I am out in 4th with no money. Was there anyway I could have prevented myself from losing my whole stack here, How should I have played this hand differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah either raise or fold PF. Why get involved with the big stack if you're just gonna call?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:32 AM

No, you can't get away from it.
On the contrary, I bet more on flop and turn, considering how easy two pairs are to draw out on.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: The answer is yes

Having nearly busted out of a MTT last night with AQ against AA with a AQx flop, I feel your pain, but have some questions for you:

When you bet the flop, what hand did you put the villian on? (Hint: It could be almost anything.)

When you bet the turn, what hand did you put the villian on? (Hint: He called your pot-sized flop bet, so he likely had a made hand, rather than a straight or flush draw or just overcards. You beat TPxK and an overpair, but how about a set?)

When you bet the river, what hand did you put villian on? (Hint: He called a bet of 1000. I think you can pretty much rule out overcards, single pair, and flush and straight draws. What do you think that he has that you can beat?)

Similarly, what hand do you think villian was putting you on? (In my experience, it's often tough to push a player off of a set or higher unless the board looks dangerous.)

Finally, to quote strassa:

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, the bigger the pot, the more incentive there is for your opponent to make a play with nothing. Keep the pot under control . . . . Very rarely in no limit holdem is it correct to value bet all three streets IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

As strassa also suggests, you often get more information from checking and reacting, then just betting.

The Shadow
Old 06-10-2005, 01:48 PM

Don't limp, either fold or raise it to 800. If he calls you can figure he has some big cards, if he comes over the top you can let it go and make the same raise when you have a hand. He may have still called with 5 7 and then you will still bust, but I think raising those marginal hands is better than limping.

Edit: Just noticed I gave the same advice as one of the previous posters. It was an independant observation, glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.