Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 12:52 AM

Default How many dollars we cost ourselves by reading 2+2 while playing?

I was wondering the cost of not paying attention to the tournaments we play because of 2+2 reading. How many dollars would this be? What would be the cost in a year?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: How many dollars we cost ourselves by reading 2+2 while playing?

i like to think it balances itself out by forcing us to think about different situations, hands, etc.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:57 AM

i doubt 2+2 specifically costs me money, beccause i'm stupid and i do lots of other things while playing too.. i always have the TV on and i'm talking to a few people, and playing 3-4 tournaments (or more).

Also, if people only have time to read 2+2 when they play (or vice versa) the info learned i think would compensate for whatever it costs.

That said, i'm curious how different my results would be the past few months if i was only playing 1 tournament at a time and doing nothing else.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm curious how different my results would be the past few months if i was only playing 1 tournament at a time and doing nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is most definitely true for me. I get on this action kick where I've got 4 MTTs going - never a problem playing SNGs but MTTs are a different animal. 2 is probably doable. The question is whether the decrease in ROI is compensated by the potential hourly rate increase that comes from multi-tabling.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That said, i'm curious how different my results would be the past few months if i was only playing 1 tournament at a time and doing nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your ROI/ITM/FT %s would go up, and you would have less money in your pocket. Now if you just add A, B, C, D answers and ask which best explains the paradox, you got yourself a good LSAT question.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:40 AM

Reading MTT board while playing = 0% +/- ROI short term
Reading MTT board while playing = +25%-35% ROI long term
-----
Reading OOT board while playing = -100% ROI short and long term
-----
~Justin
Old 11-22-2005, 02:49 AM

I very rarely focus on just an online MTT. I usually switch to 2+2 when I find myself doing less intelligent things, like checking my looking at pics of friends on facebook or playing yahoo games.

I should probably multitable, focus, or care less about results (I think option 3 is best).
Old 11-22-2005, 03:28 AM

I never read 2+2 while I play. That goes for tournaments or ring games. And I only have one television, and it's not in the same room as the computer. When I play, I'm completely focused on the game. So I have no excuse for my crappy playing.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:35 AM

Yeah, for me the problem is that I read instead of playing. Every minute I spend on 2+2 is opportunity cost at the rate of my hourly earn.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:37 AM

i can't tell if you're kidding about the opportunity cost thing, but even if you were, i'm going to pretend you werent. people use opportunity cost only in terms of money. (this isn't directed at you, i'm just tired and felt like typing about this). For example, i think it was the psychology forum some guuy asked why he should bother returning rented movies anymore because it takes him 30 minutes to do, and it only costs him lets say $20 if he never returns it, so if he's earning $40 an hour or more why should he bother to ever return any videos? ok, i starrted talking about this and now i dont feel like finishing. But i thought that was a really freaking ridiculous example (oh the guy also claimed he shouuld never cook dinner because it takes him time and he can just order delivery). and he's not the only one i've seen use opportunity cost like a jackass.

Again, not that you did, it just reminded me.

</pointless rant>