Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 07:08 PM

Default One note on notes

I played a hand with a guy today, where I flopped an OESD in a multiway unraised pot. I bet the flop, he called. The turn gave me a four-flush to go with it. I bet, he called. The river gave me a pair, and I check-called.

(The following may or may not be true.)
The pair was bad enough (3rd pair to the flop) and my read on the player hazy enough that this was a close decision between check-calling and check-folding (a value bet wouldn't be justified here, as I'd have to expect him to call me with hands like 55 to make it worth while).

Anyways, I check-called in an 8bb pot, and he showed KJ, for top pair jacks with a good kicker... given the co-ordinated nature of the board, this was probably poor play on his part.

---

I made a note on him, that he'd called down to the river with that hand and then bet the river in position.

I thought about it, though, and I came back and appended my read with: "... CAN ATTEMPT RIVER CHECKRAISES."

----------

So, I'm basically trying to show here a trend in my own note taking: That I tend to report the action, mostly focusing on mistakes, rather than focusing on how to exploit them, which is the key to poker. I think that appending "can attempt checkraise" is important in helping me play against this opponent in the future.

One risk that I'm running, however, is that my knowledge of how to capitalize on opponents errors / play poker in general may be flawwed, and thus I could give myself crappy advice that I could incorrectly apply later, once I learned to play better...

Anyways, thought I'd put there out there, and see what you guys had to say about note-taking in general.

--Dave.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: One note on notes

Look at your note taking the same way you look at your reads. If you make a read on an opponent it isn't always right. When you realize that this read is incorrect, you use the same information to moidify your read. I think this concept directly correlates to taking notes. When you take a note on a player and then they do something to the contrary, you ajust your notes and play accordingly.

Nice post
Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: One note on notes

[ QUOTE ]
Look at your note taking the same way you look at your reads. If you make a read on an opponent it isn't always right. When you realize that this read is incorrect, you use the same information to moidify your read. I think this concept directly correlates to taking notes. When you take a note on a player and then they do something to the contrary, you ajust your notes and play accordingly.

Nice post

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that's a great point (that your reads won't always be 100% accurate). Sometimes you'll misread the hand and the guy will have had a double-gutter rather than a gutshot, or the opponent may have been on tilt and playing in an unusual manner for him, etc.

There's some % that has to be applied to the reliability of reads when making decisions in a hand...

If I could actually do that on-the-fly, though, I wouldn't be playing 2/4, I'll tell you that much! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]