Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 02:51 AM

Default UB Survey legitimate?

This might be a long shot since most of you are real players, but I've signed up at UB over a year ago and never made a deposit. Earlier today, I got this email:

[ QUOTE ]

Customer Survey Drawing for $200 Cash!

We'd like to take a moment to thank you for choosing to play poker at UltimateBet. We take great pride in providing our customers a safe and fun place to play poker. In an effort to better serve you, we're selecting a group of our customers for a Customer Survey. Just a few quick questions, to see how we're doing. Simply taking a moment to answer our survey will enter your player name into a draw for $200 cash.

This shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes of your time.

Click here to participate in our customer survey for a chance to win $200!

Once you’ve completed the research questions, we will enter you into a draw as a token of our appreciation.

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey.

Regards,

Caitlyn

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried the link to the survey and had to enter username and password. I tried it several times and it wouldn't accept it. When I signed on to UB with the same password, it worked fine. This kind of scared me for a second. Is this a legitimate email/survey? It's the same email address where I get all my UB spam. At the same time, because I can't get through, it feels like I've been scammed. Any ideas?

I guess it shouldn't matter since I have no money there. I'm just curious why my password isn't accepted.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: UB Survey legitimate?

i haven't gotten this email (just checked), i would email customer support.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it shouldn't matter since I have no money there. I'm just curious why my password isn't accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]
Change your password ASAP if you suspect compromise. Unless of course you want to take the blame for collusion, chip-dumping, or who-knows-what. Even if you never want to play at UB again it is likely that many sites share lists of cheats and criminals.

Also change the password of any other account with the same password.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:06 AM

Immediately log in to UB and change your password. IMMEDIATELY. It sounds like a phishing scam.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:51 AM

I am almost 100% certain this is fake. The format does not match that of other UB e-mails.

On a legit e-mail, at the top it says "This message contains graphics. If you do not see the graphics, click here to view.
"

On this one, it says "If you are unable to see the message below, click here to view."

On a legit e-mail, all of the text will be enclosed in a rectangular box. This one is just plain text.

On a legit e-mail, the end will be something like "Have fun, Caitlyn
UltimateBet Member Services"

This one says "Regards, Caitlyn"

Nothing is there to make me think that this offer is legitimate. Contact support about it, change your password, etc.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:56 AM

Others have said it, but I'm going to also. Change your password NOW. Also if you use the same password at any other poker sites, change your password at the other sites.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:56 PM

I've gotten that e-mail twice now....
Once a few months ago and again the other day...
Both times I was internet savvy enough to realize, that if this REALLY was from UB, they would only need my screenname, or email-addy to identify me in any form.

The only people who would need my password are people trying to get into my account.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:50 PM

Thanks everyone.

I feel REALLY stupid. I've seen so many phishing emails in the past, I can't believe I fell for this one. Must have been out-of-my-mind tired.

I logged in first thing this afternoon, got in just fine. Everything seemed okay.

Then I do another stupid thing. I change my password in a hurry and may not have written it down correctly. So now, I can't get back into my account. When I use the old password, it says "invalid password" which is good because I changed it. But now when I try the new one, it says the user name and password don't match. So now I don't know what is going on.

I emailed support and told them I would feel better if they just cancel my account. I guess if I haven't played there by now I probably never will.

I'll let you know what happens.

All of my accounts use different passwords, so they shouldn't be affected.

Until I hear back from UB support, I guess my fingers are crossed that nothing horrible has happened.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:16 PM

Also I'm curious as to how the scammers got my email AND username. Them folks is sneaky!

It was mentioned in the email. I left that out when I pasted it in the original post.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:53 PM

I received this email as well... but just deleted it. I can't remember if my username was in the email or not.