Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: How does \'poker\' reflect on a resume?

My buddy recently applied for jobs in the financial sector. He happened to make a final table at an WSOP event this year and so put that on his resume, and apparently, everybody loved it. He now works at a major i-Banking firm.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is the wrong forum but I don't care, I trust the opinions of more people here than any of the other non-strategy forums.

I'll keep this brief. I was laid off from my job six months ago. I've been gambling as my main source of income ever since.

Well, it's time to get a job again. In the interview, I have no problem explaining the gap in employment honestly. I wasn't ready to jump into another job right away so I took the summer off.

But what about the resume? The last thing I need is someone prejudging me based on their preconceived notions about gambling.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

this totally depends on the job to which you are applying as wella s the company and the job description (job function)

Barron
Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 PM

I do a fair amount of hiring in the IT consulting space. Since I make a fair side income playing poker and recognize it as a legitimate profession, I would probably be ok with it (although not in all cases).

The average employer, however, will probably view this negatively ... especially for a management position, or a customer-facing one ... and yours sounds like both. Reality is that a lot of "professional gamblers" do fit the stereotypes and have qualities that an employer would not value. And even when you explain your clear understanding of EV, I doubt this would change their mind.

You only have a 6 month gap in your resume. I've seen gaps of a year, and in some cases several years on a resume.

It's certainly reasonable that you decided to take this time to spend with your family, work on your house, and look around for the next opportunity that best fit your long-term needs. You don't need to address your source of income over this time at all.

As to the notion of "if they react negatively about poker then you wouldn't want to work there anyway" ... I think that's a bit cavalier and short-sighted.

So ... IMO ... there's no reason to mention it at all. Address the gap in your resume generically (some suggestions above) and you'll avoid some of the unfair biases that exist.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So ... IMO ... there's no reason to mention it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

6 months is no biggie and lots/most people think a professional gambler = scumbag.