Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-20-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Preflop: Hijack PP vs. limper

if we compare x people seeing the flop for 1 bet to x people seeing the flop for 2bet, in the latter scenario we need to make twice as much postflop in implied odds (assuming are pot odds are less than the 7:1 we need for hitting a set, or 9:1 maybe if you take into account the time you hit a set and lose). Sorry if that was cryptic i'm kind of drunk.

Bottom line is unless there's a lot of people in you'd rather put in one bet
Old 12-20-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Bottom line is unless there's a lot of people in you'd rather put in one bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that with position and the initiative you can sometimes win it without a showdown, or your pair stands up unimproved against 1 limper's hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:13 AM

I muck.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:28 AM

i usually call or raise. pairs are super fun to play. sets are like my favorite thing to hit.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pairs are super fun to play. sets are like my favorite thing to hit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. There is more to poker than EV.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:55 AM

can you tell me what situations a raise has merit in? it seems the only time a raise makes sense is if you have a very good chance of getting it heads up and the opponent doesnt peel overcards on the flop and he likes to play his pairs for checkraises rather than checkcalls.

those situations usually dont hold true in todays games as most limpers like to checkcall, checkcall, checkcall, they like to peel overcards and the BB rarely folds. so i usually default to just limping instead, almost always.

i start raising this hand from the CO/BT a little bit more frequently but rarely from MP.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:08 AM

no you're missing what I'm saying. The guy I replied to said he's hoping for it to get raised, not that he was considering raising himself
Old 12-20-2005, 06:13 AM

I play it and play 22 aswell here.

The will overlimp alot with 2 limpers infront and SB will come along raise or not most of the time. Same with BB. So I´m usually looking at 4-5 here, which means I can stand one raise.

Also, both the BB and the BTN will probably loose alot if both of us hit.

I´ve only recently stopped limping in this spot pretty much no matter what guys are behind, so it has to be very ougly for me not to play these hands when someone (bad) limps UTG.

If I expect it to get 3-way often, then I´m not too exited about this hand.

I checked PT and I´m 0.46/hand for 22 hands when I´ve limped 22-55 in MP. I have flopped two sets and won both.
Small sample, but whatever.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i limp or raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

me to. I totally thought I was a fish reading the first couple responses. I like a limp in loose situations and prefer to raise w/ a tighter CO and BTN behind me.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:48 AM

I'm not sure people are paying enough attention to the specific lineup.

If we limp, there is a very good chance that CO and SB will limp also (unless button raises). Button may decide to limp along just because everyone else is there. There is a chance that button or bb will raise, but if bb raises it doesn't seem to matter much since everyone will call.

On the other hand, raising against these people doesn't look too promising. For the button and BB appear capable of 3-betting. More importantly, a raise could prevent others from entering the pot.

So, with this lineup, I like limping along. But as a general matter, I fold. And the reason is that at most tables I see, I don't think there's as much chance that I'll get other people to overlimp, and there's probably even more risk of a raise.

Also, in a less quantifiable sense, I don't particularly like limping because I think it might damage my image a bit. But this could be entirely wrongheaded.

Note, even if I thought I could get this headsup, I don't know if I'd raise. I think that there is about a 30% that earlier limper has a higher pair than me. If not, he has connecting cards or Ax and is probably not the type to fold on the flop.