Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Quirky blind steal battle - A9o

[ QUOTE ]
He's probably only c/r with better hands, so we can c/f this river if we miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

he probably only c/r with better hands, but it sounds like he's going to have a worse one fairly often too. so why choose a line where you put in 2 BB and don't showdown against a 64/23 when you could check behind the turn and showdown for 1 BB? you'd still be able to raise again, too.

he's often betting the river here after the turn gets checked through, so you'll be able to sleep soundly at night knowing you technically never gave him a free card. it's almost the same thing as betting the turn then checking the river UI!
Old 12-18-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Sklansky Riddle

This deal features an unusual situation I've never seen before.

I checked the turn, called the river, and scooped the pot.

His flop raise, his turn check, and my turn check were all correct plays in the Sklansky (Fundamental Theorem) sense.

How can that be?

I'll post the answer in a while.

Back to real poker, I'm comfortable with my decision to check the turn, but I don't have any strong feeling that it is right. There have been situations recently where whackjobs manuevered me into giving them cheap rivers/showdowns using flop checkraises and then checking. It always feels really bad when it happens. But getting checkraised twice with this piece of junk isn't exactly clever either.

Good discussion guys.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Quirky blind steal battle - A9o

Valid points wheelz, nice post.

In truth as a general rule im not going to get too aggressive with A high against a laggy villian without more specific reads than were provided.

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't 3-bet the flop against this player because it sounds like he'll glady c/r the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true but we are now forcing him to show much more strength. LAG or not he is now much less likely to put us off the best hand by getting fancy, additionally I like it on flops like this where our chances to improve are unspectacular.

[ QUOTE ]
while i admit i didn't put much weight into the c/r often but betting relatively little thing

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I took the read at face value but there are allot of blanks to fill in here. It's a bit of a mystery if hes just checkraising with random holdings or if hes doing so with a piece or strong draws, the same could be said of how often he bets the river. Generally I do think there is value to be gotten out of betting mediocre hands aggressively against this guy, but I agree that this particular spot is debateable.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Results

Villain had 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving me 22 outs versus 44 cards for exactly 50% pot equity on the turn. I called his river stab and won after the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] counterfeited his pair.

I still have no idea what his turn plan was if I bet.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Results

My guess is he got scared of a possible turn raise and went in to check-call mode.