Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 07:47 AM

Default Re: 18 Months of poker and what i have learned

very nice post.

i can't even imagine what it is like to have that much money at freaking 18.
Guys like you and zeejustin and others just blow me away.

I'm 35 and am a bit jealous I think.

You've got a pretty good head on your shoulders for ANY age as best I can tell (much less 18) and it's pretty impressive.

Nice post and continued success at poker, college, life, etc.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had my biggest day ever on the first of the month, making 42k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I've never had that much money in my life. You're three years younger than me and you made that in a day. Of course, there were those few times when you lost more than I've ever had in one day too :P

Interesting read. Definitely motivating to see what others are capable of achieving. Congrats on your success, and thanks for sharing.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm 35 and am a bit jealous I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't be - it's much easier to move up the stakes so rapidly when your much younger: Much lower outgoings from your bankroll, less financial repsonsibilty and greater risk tolerance means you can take more "shots", they have more spare time on their hands, not to mention the fact that they learn faster than us [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And to Gabe, good on you. It's been said before, but you come across as being a really mature & smart 18yo -- you deserve your success. However, you should really spend the next years enjoying college, your wealth & youth, and tone down on the poker a little. At least that would stop people like me and microbob being so jealous......
Old 12-16-2005, 10:59 AM

Interesting post, I am a 53 year old father of two, a son who is getting out of the navy soon and my daughter who is a sophmore at your school. I am considering trying poker fulltime soon and I am get jealous like micro bob said at your success at the tables but perhaps even more so at your maturity as I still struggle in that area. Good luck at school and life and keep posting I have just moved to no-limit poker after 100k hands of limit and I enjoy reading your posts. And stay away from my daughter lol.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting post, I am a 53 year old father of two, a son who is getting out of the navy soon and my daughter who is a sophmore at your school. I am considering trying poker fulltime soon and I am get jealous like micro bob said at your success at the tables but perhaps even more so at your maturity as I still struggle in that area. Good luck at school and life and keep posting I have just moved to no-limit poker after 100k hands of limit and I enjoy reading your posts. And stay away from my daughter lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you decide you want to give poker a whirl full time, best of luck to you. I would reccomend getting in some more hands before you make any decisions, you can never have too much experience.

And of course i will stay away from your daughter, just tell me her name so i know it's her... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 PM

Good post. I'm 24 and just finishing up college. Late I know but that is another story. Anyways, I'm not making what you are but I am still making signifigantly more than I ever have before, and much more than what any entry level position will pay me. Plus, I've been playing for 9 months so I'm sure there much more for me to learn and advance. It's always interesting hearing what people in similiar situations to myself are thinking/doing.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope some people find this helpful

[/ QUOTE ]

more than helpful, seriously...thx a bunch ggb and continued gl
Old 12-16-2005, 06:07 PM

great post...I'm a bit older than you (33) but i had the run of a lifetime over the summer also and then have hit a bad run now...not sure why but I loved the post and really wish you the best of luck
Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, I have some words of wisdom that I would like to share. There are no absolutes in poker, so you will never hear me talk about them. But what I am absolutely sure of is that your biggest or worst day of poker will not be the best or worst day of your. Work hard, learn, and keep everything in perspective. Poker is a game to some, a job to others, but it should only be a small part of who you are regardless. I would like to say that from limited conversations with guys like BK, Schneider, James and company, I have learned a lot not only about poker, but how to balance it with the rest of your life. I hope to continue to improve at poker and at life, and especially at balancing the two of them together.

As far as moving up and taking shots, do so at your own comfort level. Don’t try to be like or keep pace with anyone. Some people get lucky at the right times and others don’t. But hard work and discipline will get you where you need to be. Also, what is even more important that learning the game is learning to be content. I still have a lot to learn in this regard. I can honestly say that I don’t want to be that guy that doesn’t know when to stop pushing himself; who always needs to be the best to be happy. Focus on getting yourself to a point where you can make the most money with the least emotional turbulence. If you can lose enough money to ruin your day, you’re playing to high. No matter what, be grateful for what you have. In poker and in life, [censored] hits the fan sometimes. This is kind of corny, but I’ll say it anyway. I’m 18 so naturally I ignore a good portion of the advice my parents give me, but one thing my father told always seems to ring true. He said, “Son, everyone gets opportunities, some people just make more out of them.” If you want to be a good poker player, there will be ups, there will be downs, but you will only set yourself back by feeling sorry for yourself and letting it affect your outside life. Deal with it, move on, and don’t let poker affect the way you are when your not playing/

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

These 2 paragraphs should be sticked at the top of every stakes level forum and the psychology forum.

Nh sir.

regards
Old 12-16-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I drank way too much, and I don’t’ mean normal go away to college drinking. Fortunately, I am a self-aware person, and I knew I needed to get myself back on a better track.

At the beginning of November, I flew out to Vegas ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice job recognizing your faults and coming up with a plan to fix them. Drinking too much? Fly to Vegas!

-Eric