Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-11-2005, 03:59 AM

Default I think I have to quit...(NC)

Ok, so like every Saturday the last couple of months (and virtually everyday for that matter), I spent my time playing $20 SNG's. And after tonight, I feel like I have got to quit...go back to cash games.
I can't handle the beats...
After tonight, I have just under 2000 SNG's between the 10's and the 20's. Between the 2 I have a 13% ROI. I am a winning player, although as you can tell, just barely.
However, tonight was just another night where I find myself cursing the computer and slamming my hands against the keyboard.
I played 36 tournies tonight with an ROI of 3.5%. I finished the night with:
1st--1
2nd--6
3rd--9
4th--6
I went through my hand histories and found that in the 21 tournies I was knocked out in 2nd-4th, I had the better hand all in preflop 19 times. In 12 of those, I had my opponent dominated (AAvs.Q4, KKvs85, A6vsA3, AKvsAJ, etc.). Yeah yeah, we all have bad beats.
Almost all of these plays are by the large stack making a move on my from the SB when I'm the BB. I re-raise all in, and they are already priced in and have to call with their junk...and then the BB assuming I'm making a move on them when I have shown nothing but good hands. They call with 85o when they only have me covered by a couple of hundred.

I just don't have the mental ability to overcome night after night of bad beats. I keep thinking that if I go in with the better hand, it will all average out, but I can't wait for it.

Now, bankroll wise, I can handle the swings. I'm not playing at a point where the money is scaring me. It's simply that I get so pissed when they suck out on me...and when I have these days, I just can't stand going all in again, knowing I'm going to have the better hand...and it means nothing.

So, I give up...back to NL50...back to the grind. Was fun while it lasted...well, sometimes.

P.S. yes, I'm a baby...yes, I need to learn about variance...and yes, I'll have to get use to it if I plan to play poker.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: I think I have to quit...(NC)

i stopped reading when i saw that you are frustrated because you barely finished a winner tonight. sit and goes are definitely not for you.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:12 AM

I guess I'm not sure what the point of this post was. For some reason, I felt compelled to reply.

About all I can conclude from your post was that you were playing SnG's. What you described happens. In fact, not uncommonly.

I think the "long run" in SnG's is much longer than the "long run" in limit or no-limit ring games. You just made a post complaining about a modest winning streak over 36 SnG's. That is roughly the equivalent of complaining about a modest winning streak over 1000 hands of NL ring.

If you can't deal with that, good luck with the grind of NL 50.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:16 AM

Dont you think taking a bad beat in a NL game will hurt you more than a bad beat in a sng? You lose 11 or 22, depending on which level you are playing. I think taking a bad beat on a sng is much, much easier to swallow than taking it in a cash game. stay positive...
Old 12-11-2005, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
poker is definitely not for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
The swings will be MUCH worse at 50nl. If you can't handle the swings here, good luck with them in the nl games.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:19 AM

We should have automated replies for threads like this.

- variance is a bitch get used to it
- read irie's posts
- keep your head up
- etc.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:24 AM

You're fagatorious.

Do you see why?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:28 AM

He did say he finished 2000 sngs. He used last night as an example of a bad night he has a lot. Anyway do what makes you happy.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He did say he finished 2000 sngs. He used last night as an example of a bad night he has a lot. Anyway do what makes you happy.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he thinks that ending the night as a slight winner is an example of a bad night, he's going to have some rough, rough nights at 50nl.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:31 AM

Completely off topic hijack, but good to see you back, pergesu. You've helped me plug what I'm now are pretty sure were leaks. I hope this means you're also experiencing a better side of varience than before.