Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 03:01 AM

Default SB defense standards

When I loosened up my preflop standards recently I think something important got overlooked.

Button is a reasonable player with ASB = 40%. BB is a typical 40/15 mediocre postflop.

What hands are you playing from SB when Button open-raises? Assume you posted 1/2 SB.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: SB defense standards

I'll give you my range, but I have no idea how correct it is. It is really difficult for me to evaluate why one hand may be correct, while a similar hand is not.

Hands I 3-bet:

A8s+, A9o+, K9s+, KTo+, QJs, 77+.

Hands I call:

J9s, JTs, Q9s, QTs, 55, 66

Once again, just a guess, and I might play different from this in reality.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:27 AM

This all depends on the player's postflop skills and his WTSD, but here's my standard. I'll usually 3-bet all pairs, most suited Aces, fewer but still a lot of offsuit Aces (A6+ or so?), and most hands with two broadway cards.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hands I call:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that calling with 55 and 66 is no bueno. These need to be included in the raise group.

I am really not sure how to play the others and I think my decision with these hands is almost always based on metagame considerations but that may be an incorrect approach.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hands I call:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that calling with 55 and 66 is no bueno. These need to be included in the raise group.

I am really not sure how to play the others and I think my decision with these hands is almost always based on metagame considerations but that may be an incorrect approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

When deciding between 3-bet or call, you need to decide if you want the BB to come along or not. Does your hand have showdown value? Does it prefer to be heads-up or does it do well multiway?

As for 55 and 66, are you playing them for set value alone? Then call and let the BB in, to let you build a pot. If you want to have a chance of winning UI, then 3-bet.

Also, 3-betting is good to discourage people from taking shots at your blinds every time it's folded to them. You can't count on the BB to do this for you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-- Kevin
Old 11-19-2005, 08:47 AM

Hands I 3-bet:

A7s+, A7o+, K9s+, KTo+, QJo, QJs, 55+. Sometimes on occasions i'll deviate based on things such as image and frequencey. I may for example 3bet JTo on occasion or 44. I may also decide to fold A7o occasion, etc.

I call nothing... unless Button is very agg and BB is very bad.