Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: I really need your help (personal and kinda long /w stats)

[ QUOTE ]
Also, have you considered that you may be calling too many river bets/raises?

Perhaps post a couple you thought were close? (Your Fold to River bet seems below the 48-52 benchmark I think i've seen.)

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

My folded to river bet is 40%. Does this mean I am calling too much on the river?

And Shillx (or Brad if I may [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), what I have seen from your posts they are all very solid and I have a hard time believing you were not running bad, although I recommend you try the more TAGish style, like 14/8, 16/10 etc.

Also, when I play 5/10 full I usually find alot of bad players, or atleast 2-3 of them at a table, I try to grab a seat to the left of them and play. Are you guys just playing at the wrong time or am I just talking bullcrap?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Shillx (or Brad if I may [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), what I have seen from your posts they are all very solid and I have a hard time believing you were not running bad, although I recommend you try the more TAGish style, like 14/8, 16/10 etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, why not try a sLAGish style 20/11 ala some of the guys I read about (and live vicariously through) in the upper small stakes/mid limit forums? That could give a different perspective on the game and allow you to find a comfortable middle ground.

I hate to quote TV poker stars talking about no-limit in a micro limit forum but Gus Hansen in an interview made a good point about not relying on a book to tell him what and how to play. He wanted to figure out for himself what works and, if it took some losses through experimenting, he would end up a better player.

Anyway, just a suggestion...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know 3/6 that well, but you seem really tight. FWIW, my aggression curve postflop goes the other way, starting at 3 on the flop, then going to like 2.2 on the turn, and then 2 on the river. I don't know why that is though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a product of him being that tight. Having such high starting hand standards puts him in position to bet for value more on the river and to raise more.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:25 PM

What stands out most to me about your advice here is that it is tight. I still value it and use it and thank you for it, but I think it's somewhat predictible that your advice will be at the tight end. Check behind. Fold, he has a boat. "Pumping paired flops is sketch." (I love that one.) I feel like you must be missing some value bets and folding too much, but maybe it's offset by the rest of us value betting to much and calling too much. Post some hands. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

droolie touched on something that I'd like to backup with my own limited experience of watching variance affect my earnings. I've never actually charted it, but when I look at my bankroll over short-term periods, I notice a lot of break-even, some huge upswings, and a few downswings. During my break-even periods, I'm not catching any draws and my big hands are getting cracked or winning small pots. What keeps me break-even during those runs is pushing small edges, often with small pots, by isolating bad players, taking well-timed stabs at scary boards, playing the opponents more than the cards, using my experience and all the tricks I've learned in these forums. Maybe I'm over-simplifying it, but that's what I currently believe. (Entity will probably prove to me that I'm full of crap and stupid and I'll move on, but that's besides the point.) Anyway, I don't think a tight style is conducive to this kind of play because there just aren't enough edges available for you to push. You can't "pick your spots," because they aren't there. Loosen up and stop worrying about the variance. All that does is lower your expectation.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

By the way, you should be able to get a brand new system for 4-tabling with no overlap for around $500. If you need help with that, PM me.