Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-12-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on dropping out of school...

I dropped out of school after my sophmore year to play poker. First off, 200K+ a year is WAY MORE than I would make as an engineer. 2nd thing is the social aspect. My gf is in college, my best bud is in college, and they're the 2 I hang out with the most. I'm 21 and still go to college parties and go to college bars. I would say that college parties are more fun when you're out cause everyone wants to talk to the poker player.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:03 PM

I'd say finish college, but that would probably just be the part of me that's bitter I can't make 20kK/yr playing poker talking. Do whatever you think is best for yourself. I would almost definitely drop out of college if I could make that much a year playing cards. In some ways, this situation makes me think of a college athlete turning pro early. Might as well get the most out of your ability while you can. You can always go back to college at a later time. Who knows how long you will be able to make 200k/yr playing poker. There's no guarantee that the games will be this good forever. Get while the gettin's good.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:04 PM

I think it all depends on few things. First, how much more you would make by quitting school and playing poker full time, and secondly, if you have what it takes to keep that roll going, in terms of learning money management through investing.

I mean if you can make 500k~2M over next 2~3 years playing poker full time, I think someone smart enough to earn that much playing poker is very well capable of learning how to manage that kind of money to last them their life time. So why waste 4~5 years to study something you'd never need because you'd never need a job? You realize it will take you about 15 years or so to ever touch that kind of money down the road if you were to go to college and get some 40k/yr job.

On other hand, if you make 70k'ish max playing poker fulltime, it probably isn't worth it for you to go full time and ditch education because simply that kind of money won't likely last them long enough to make it worth while.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can always go back to college at a later time. Who knows how long you will be able to make 200k/yr playing poker. There's no guarantee that the games will be this good forever. Get while the gettin's good.

[/ QUOTE ]
yepp
Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 PM

Gabe,
I think good things lie ahead for you with whatever your decision may be. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 08:10 PM

theres no reason you cant make nearly that much playing poker and staying school. i took a full load every semester at a high workload school and still had tons of time on my hands. like enough time to go on monthlong benders and blow thousands playing poker. most of my semester was this: wake up at noon, play 2-4 and 3-6 all day, get drunk around 10, come back and play poker at 4. now, this was before i was even good at poker or was even making money.

if i can graduate with good grades from a good engineering school as a degenerate, you can certainly graduate as a professional.

you guys are way overestimating how hard and time-consucming school is.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:20 PM

Gabe, I wish I had your maturity and outlook when I was your age. I feel like I would be a terrible person to give advice on this thread because I truly feel that if internet poker was around when I was 18 and making boatloads of money like some of these kids today do, there would be a strong case that I'll probably be wondering the same thing.

I hated school even though I was a straight A student pretty much throughout. I thought high school was a breeze and when I entered university I totally lost my focus. Much of my time were spent at the poker clubs and working rather than being in classes. Weekends were about getting high and partying.

I'm in the same boat as the other previous poster where he actually wants to go back to school. I've switched jobs so many times after graduating, now I want to go back to do what I really want to do. Having poker as a side income is nice.
The grass is always greener on the other side. Now after being away from school for so long I do miss it. All that said I'm glad I did stay but mainly because it was for the college experience. It was without a doubt the best time of my life. If I had missed that I would've really regretted it.