Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 01:28 AM

Default KTs in small blind.. top pair against large field

my first thought after the flop was that I should have raised preflop. the entire field had a vp$ip of 50-65 or I wouldn't have even thought about betting.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 11-26-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: KTs in small blind.. top pair against large field

Here is my thinking. Someone WILL bet this flop. If you bet this flop, just about everyone will call and if someone raises, they will call again because they think, "hey, I already put 1 SB into this, whats 1 more". If you check and, best case scenerio, the button bets, you raise and youll get a lot more folds because people wont want to put in a full bet without having commited much money.

edit: you can attain close to the same thing by betting and 3 betting a raise. I don't think you want to put 3sb into this flop with your very mediocre hand.

Like it? Am I wrong in my thinking. Note that Im a beginner and am trying to learn.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:44 AM

Well, their VPIPs are all special and whatnot, but that doesn't really tell us a lot about postflop play. I like betting out here, if I'm raised by a late position player, I"ll almost definitely donk a blankish turn.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the entire field had a vp$ip of 50-65 or I wouldn't have even thought about betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:03 AM

Here's how I play it: I check first, and raise if it is checked to a late position bet. If there is a bet and raise before it gets back to me I fold, If there is an early bet and everyone calls, I just call to see if I improve on the turn, unless the turn improves me dramatically, I'm looking for a reason to drop this hand against a large field.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:36 AM

If the field is full of people who don't fold, what does betting accomplish?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the field is full of people who don't fold, what does betting accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

it accomplishes having people who can't beat top pair put in bets that will hopefully be mine by the end of the hand.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, their VPIPs are all special and whatnot, but that doesn't really tell us a lot about postflop play. I like betting out here, if I'm raised by a late position player, I"ll almost definitely donk a blankish turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's exactly what I was thinking. would it be considered a donk bet on the turn if you bet out on the flop? what about a scare card? c/c down?