Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Default TT played wrong

Villian is a thinking player and seems mildly aggressive.

Ultimate Bet 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

My thinking is that he floped a set so I call the turn with the flush draw. Not making the draw I fold the river, which I think now was a mistake.

Also, should I have led the turn? Again since (in my mind) I'm playing for the heart, check/call seems right.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: TT played wrong

If you think him a solid playa, then why 3 bet the flop?

With a draw to the 5th best flush, I call his flop raise, c/c the turn, and c/f the riv. He may already have a better flush, but I can't be sure. No way TT is good here UI.

He cold called 2 IP pf. If he is a TAG, U are Dead.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:02 PM

That's a scary board and gets scarier on every street. I suppose it is possible that the flop cap means he hit his set, but I'm also thinking he could have a big flush draw like AdJx.

I think you have to call the river for a couple of reasons; Villian could have been pumping a draw he missed, Villian could have something like 99 and be putting you on AK or AQ, you don't want people to think they can out aggression you HU to get you off a pot.

Showing aggression on the turn may have slowed this guy down or got him off a draw, I'm not sure and have had some bad runs being too aggressive with the 2nd or 3rd best hand so I'll let someone else speak to that.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:04 PM

Nice 3-bet on the flop.

I think once you've called the turn (and you should with a pair larger than second pair, 3 outs to an okay straight, and 9 more outs to an okay flush), you should call the river getting 10:1 against a tricky/aggressive opponent. I don't think you're good very often, but the pot is big enough and i want to see what Villain has here anyway.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if i count as a "solid playa", but there are a number of hands i would raise on this flop that do not beat TT. Most of them contain large naked [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s. Some contain a pair+straight draw or something. 3-betting here is hot.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What range do you put a TAG villain on after the flop raise? After the flop cap?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:15 PM

I could easily see a TAG calling with AdXd X &lt; T, KJd, maybe even KT-9d. It is certainly possible that he flopped a flush, but do you want to assume that every time the board comes 3 to a flush?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if i count as a "solid playa", but there are a number of hands i would raise on this flop that do not beat TT. Most of them contain large naked [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s. Some contain a pair+straight draw or something. 3-betting here is hot.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What range do you put a TAG villain on after the flop raise? After the flop cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good questions. My line came from reading the OP's read and assuming that the villian wasn't a donk. SSHE has pretty solid theory on why cold calling shouldn't be done very often. Best examples I can rem. are suited broadways and possibly 99-JJ (? really can't remember, but I'll look it up this evening). Then, the suspected TAG raised the flop bet. These 3 facts lead me to my line of play of bet/call the flop, c/c the turn, c/f the riv as posted.

I do see merit in calling the riv to see his hand, but we are not winning very often here.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could easily see a TAG calling with AdXd X &lt; T, KJd, maybe even KT-9d. It is certainly possible that he flopped a flush, but do you want to assume that every time the board comes 3 to a flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, but if villian cannot beat the board or OUR possible flush, then his raise has to mean something other than HFOS* (Hero's full of sh*t). Otherwise, calling is a better line for him due to the pot size. My responses assume the OP is facing a TAG. If that isn't the case, then I wouldn't play the hand as I described.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:37 PM

I don't think you played this wrong, or I'd have played it the same way except I'd have called the river bet.

I think you'd see a single large heart here often enough to warrant calling.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 PM

I agree that we are probably not winning this much even if the 4th heart falls, I can't see a TAG chasing a 9 high flush. I probably still make the crying call on the river though.