Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Okay, Ed, I raised.

I tend to like one, maybe two strategy hands to a post so I can both think about it and follow the comments made by other people.

A couple of general things. When you get bet into on the river by a hand that can only have you crushed or is a bluff I don't like raising.

At 1/2 the number of players who will bluff a river is decently large, but the number that will bluff raise a river is very small, you might factor that in.

You can show agression on the PF and flop and still fold the turn. Its texture and opponent dependent of course, but if you put in four small bets on the first two streets, calling down the second two on a losing hand doubles the amount of money you lose in the hand. Agression is nice, but when a hand goes south, it goes south. Pick your spots.

I'm not specifically applying any of that advice to any particular hand above, but it sprung to mind as I read through your hands.

Thinking about what some hypothetical 2 + 2 ers would say during the play of a hand is a good way to get your head so twisted around that you'll have trouble ever figuring out what to do. You may be right about what they'd say, but you might also be wrong. Even if you are right and that's the advice you'd get, the 2+2ers that say it may be full of shyte.

Go with what you think is right, post the hand later and see what the actual advice is. Then evaluate it and if you think its right try to incorporate that thinking into your own thinking over time. If at the tables you think this is a call or fold but hey, 2+2ers on the micro forum would say raise...make the call or fold.

--Zetack