Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Getting away from middle set?

Good point however i think that there are a lot of hands that Villian could reasonably do that with and think he has the best hand. AJ/A8s/88/A3s/A4s/J8s I can see someone raising these hands on th button to attempt a steal on the blinds. That being said...I do agree that calling the raise on the river was probably best.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:03 PM

Dont think so. sorry, very difficult.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:06 PM

I'm okay with losing set over set. When I hit middle or bottom set, I'm usually looking to get it all in the middle on the flop or thereafter. I don't care what my opponent did preflop or postflop. I'm getting my chips in the middle.

But I'm reading more and more on 2+2 that a little postflop poker could save me a lot of chips. I know it's hard to lay down a set and I'm not saying that you should fold at any time during this hand. I just think I personally need to think a little deeper about these hands as opposed to blindly pushing. If you have a strong read on your opponent and his range of possible hands are all ahead of you, you can at least consider calling down or folding.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:12 PM

How many hands will he really raise only 3BB preflop, check the flop, call the turn, min-raise the river with? Very unlikely for any hand you're beating to check the flop. And his play is EXTREMELY consistent with top set. I probably just call the min-raise on the river and save myself some cash.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:17 PM

this hand is a bit similiar to the thread I started where i hit a set of queens "turned a set of queens but dont know if I like it", but on that hand my villains hand was much more defined, cause he reraised preflop, on that hand I was out of position, flop was checked, turn was the Q, i checked and intended to go for the checkraise, but it was checked through again, on the river I bet out a pot size, and he minraised, so I just called could only put him on aces or a hand he wouldn't call my push with anyway, so why bother.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:24 PM

I find it nothing short of hilarious that just a couple days ago someone posts a hand exactly like this, 90% of the responses are like "omg, a SET!!! SHOVE THE MONEY IN!!!!" and 10% were like "hmm, it looks like he's slowplaying a monster, either that or he's really weak; either way you're getting screwed if you try to play a big pot" and sure enough, the guy had a set of aces. And now we've got an identical hand posted, and once again everyone's saying "omg, a SET!!! SHOVE THE MONEY IN!!!!"

I mean, it just seems do damn obvious... when someone has clearly slowplayed something, and you don't have the nuts, then you've got to consider the fact that your hand might be no good. When the preflop raiser waits until the river to suddenly come to life... he doesn't have frickin top pair.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:30 PM

I'm just curious, but how often do you fold to the minraise on the river in this situation rather than calling it?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:37 PM

I'd like to know how often the players who say fold have actually folded second set on a boad with no obvious straights/flushes.

I'm also curious to know if any of the posters who seem to be advocating folding are also of the 'never fold kings preflop' school of thought.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:41 PM

I would never have bet $60 on the river in the first place.

When I have a very good hand and my opponent is representing something better on the river, I call. Folding second set is too weak and pushing against someone representing the nuts is insane.

Teddy, I don't think you've got the spades, so I'm gonna go all-in...
Old 07-13-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know how often the players who say fold have actually folded second set on a board with no obvious straights/flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know where you see any player saying to fold. In fact, not a single person in this thread advocates a fold. Almost all of them advocate a call.