Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Pushing over LP limper - how often is this EV+?

Played this hand in a MTT today at the Bike Club in LA. Buy in was $200+30 (freezeout), 400 entries and we're down to 16 tables. Everyone started with a stack of T2000, and the average now is around T5000. I've been at the table (with Barbar Enright) for 2 orbits and have only played one hand - I pushed with 700 and 10/9s from UTG when the blinds were 100/200/25a and I tripled up when I hit my flush over Enright's 3/3 and the SB's mucked hand. There are a few stacks at the table who are short like me (around 1500 - 2000 chips), a couple average stacks, and Enright is the big stack with about 8000 chips.

Here's the hand:
Blinds recently rose to 150/300/50a.

All fold to CO who limps (with about 2500 behind). SB folds and I'm in BB with K/5s and 1400 behind my BB. Villian hasn't played more than a few hands since I sat down, and I know that he's limped and then folded to a pre-flop raise.

If I push here the pot will be 150+300+500(antes)+300+1400 (my push) = 2650. So he'll be getting 1.9:1 on his call - but he'll have to put in half his stack to do it, leaving him with about 4xBB (M = 1.3) if he loses. I am happy to have him fold it because that will almost double me up, but how often does he fold it here? He openlimped here, which really confused me because he had me and the SB outchipped - so how often is he looking for action here?

Is a push here a good move or should I wait for a real hand to push with minimal FE (4xBB, M=1.3)?

ts-