Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 01:12 AM

Default AA against major lag

villain was 70/30 after like 150 hands

is this standard? or do i put him on a 9?

btw i didn't raise right away pf cause he ALWAYS autoraised the button... figured i'd call/raise on him to get more money in there pf

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($36.70)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($100)</font>
MP ($79.17)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($224.50)</font>
SB ($125.22)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
Hero calls $1, MP calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $5.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, MP folds, Button calls $9.50.

Flop: ($32.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, Button calls $35.

Turn: ($102.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls $50 (All-In), Button calls $50.

River: ($202.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Old 12-22-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: AA against major lag

This board pretty much sucks, but the more betting and raising you do, the more committed you are to the pot. Hopefully he'll pay off with AJ, or AT, or QQ, or KK, or other big hands that you are ahead of when money goes in.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:19 AM

Default The old \'limp-reraise\', hey?!

If he is any good, you need to know what his perception of you is. If he thinks you are tight, he will put you on a big pair for sure. If you have splashed around with him, he might not need to flop big to give you action.

I dont really like the limp reraise move unless its a big reraise. I think you give away your hand, or your hand range, too cheaply here, assuming you play tight. He's only got to call $9.50 more to get a shot at the pot and your remaining stack, and he has position.

I think a limp-call is better here. Play passively and he will probably bet all the way for you.

Obviously, its not gonna work every time, but here I would be happy to call 2 pot-sized bets. If he fires a 3rd, you then have to go with your hand- and player-reading skills.

On this board, playing the way i recommend, you would probably safely fold the river if he fires a third barrel.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: The old \'limp-reraise\', hey?!

I'd say if your going to limp/reraise, then the reraise here is a push agaisnt a lag when your OOP.

He'll take a flop with anything for an additional $9.50 and the implied odds of stacking you.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:58 AM

That flop is full of draws and you're committed if he calls your bet anyway, so you might as well just push the flop and get it over with. Way too many cards you don't want to see on later streets.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:04 AM

Your LRR amount sucks. Your defining your hand out of position at a decent price. Maybe this guy won't be able to take advantage of that, but even most donks know what a limp-reraise means. If you are going to do this make it like 25. 20 is a pot sized raise here, but your OOP and against someone who calls way to much. Charge him a premium to play. When these guys run good, which the 224 stack implies they'll still call for 25.

And no I wouldn't put him on a 9. How could you do that? You bet before he had a chance to react to the 2nd 9. Against a 70/30 you can't just assume that they have whatever hand crushes you at any given point.

Post flop, I don't know. How does the guy play. If he is crazy post flop I might just c/r all in on the flop. Otherwise bet flop bet turn as you did. Playing guys like this is high variance, but your overlay is huge. A big pair like AA is worth a 100bb stack in most situations.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:30 PM

You have AA, the best hand preflop. I do not understand why you are so scared.

I don't agree with your preflop limp. It looks as if you want to slowplay. Slow play is very bad with AA. I would raise 4.5bb - 5bb with AA Preflop, and if he calls, you know he has something something decent. Decent may include high connectors, suited connectors, or mid-high pair. The flop is not that bad. The downfall in this situation is that you have no position on him. But still, the flop should not scare you so much.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:41 PM

I think you played this well.

The turn gave you two-pair and was still draw heavy.