Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2004, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Party Poker SNG\'s

I'm really happy when 2+2ers have great days, and then post about it. The post here did not make me feel happy.

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that amazes me is that people pay their hard earned money to play these and they're complete idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have enough words to tell you how wrong and irritating this attitude is, espcially if it comes from someone who wants to be a succesful poker player. The *only* way to improve in this tough game, is to pay very very good atttention to the different types of fish, different behaviours, different weaknesses. If you simply despise them, and call them all "idiots", like the original poster did (after playing, it seems, for one day), it doesn't look like you're (I mean he's) here to learn. You're here to do something else, I'm not sure what.

I hope I'm wrong.

PrayingMantis
Old 03-07-2004, 02:03 PM

I guess I got a little tweaked up over something pretty small. Maybe in my *tilt* mode, I didn't convey my actual thoughts. I agree that referring to the other players as morons or idiots is just bad taste. An attitude like that can get in the way of really learning poker.

I guess when I read the post, I read something different than everyone else. I kind of pictured this guy elated with his good fortune, which caused him to go a little overboard in his condemnation of the entire poker community [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] .

I just thought the guy was real excited over a great day at the tables, and probably should be given some lee-way in his taste-less refferal to the other players.

I picture myself saying: I raised 10xBB with AA, and got one caller. Flop came A-8-3 3 suited, and I pushed. The *idiot* called me with 3-4 of diamonds, and caught a flush runner-runner.

As tactless as that may sound, I am apt to say it. It's nothing personal to the guy who made that call and came out on top, but it does express my opinion of his action.

Sorry if I got a little high-headed. I can understand all of your view-points.

Regards,

--Casey
Old 03-07-2004, 02:56 PM

"The thing that amazes me is that people pay their hard earned money to play these and they're complete idiots."

For much of the world, $11 does not count as HARD EARNED money, and for some it hardly counts as money. This is not much to pay for entertainment, especially when you consider the bad beats and hot runs they'll deliver will give them higher than -$11 EV.

Now why some of this persists at the $109 level, I have more trouble understanding,
Craig
Old 03-07-2004, 04:52 PM

probably for the same reason. the people you are playing just dont realize the value of a dollar. or 100 dollars. people like me have a hard time understanding how people can throw away thousands not even knowing what theyre doing. while i grind it out with my little hard earned bankroll at the low buyins.

oh well, it'd be hard to win if people didnt make mistakes. luckily theres fish that make several of them, and keep me afloat. just cause they dont play cards properly doesnt make them morons though, they probably just dont value their buyins.

now someone calling with 2 pair with 4 to a straight flush on the board, who considers himself a "rounder". that might be a moron [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2004, 05:21 PM

This brings to mind an interesting story I have from a low limit live table. There was one young woman at the table who was having fun donating. Talkative, loose, friendly, and nice. At one point she said to me "I really like the color of your eyes." Because of my concentration on the game, I missed that this was likely a flirting attempt. How -EV is that?

Craig
Old 03-07-2004, 09:07 PM

Yesterday I decided to try my hand at omaha hi/low. I sat down firstly at a $30+3 pot limit omaha multi, got knocked out around 60th place out of 230 odd. Then I played in a $10+1 pl stt and got knocked out in 6th place.

I found out that I am really rubbish at Omaha, but this didnt matter to me, I could easily afford the buy ins and it was something different and because i didnt expect to win it was some of the most fun I've had playing poker for a while.

I have never really understood this attitude towards poker before. My friends are always asking me to play a home game with them but I have never said yes as I know they are begginers and they would have a happy-go-lucky attitude towards it whereas I'm afraid I would come accross as some crazy freek to them [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Anyway I usually play $10+1 nl holdem stt online and make a good profit now, but I dread to think of what I was like when I was learning, I remember my friend trying to teach me he was like "47os throw it away" and I was like "but it can make a straight!" Although after a long while, I knew that I was a poor player, I enjoyed the game and was constantly trying to improve (as I still am) so being bad didnt bother me so much. Yesterday I also knew I was playing terrible at the Omaha tables but I was enjoying myself so I didn't care.

Any way my point is, in regard to these fishes we love, yesterday I was conscious of what it was like to be one and I think they deserve more respect than:

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that amazes me is that people pay their hard earned money to play these and they're complete idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many reasons that people pay there hard earned money to play. I think we should respect the fact that they may not know what they are doing at the table but they probably do know what they are doing regards there own money managment. And they probably do realise that they are learning or simply playing for fun or to pass the time. I think that you should be grateful they play and not ever call them idiots (as you did twice) or laugh at them.

Also I am truly happy that you had a good day but I really hope that you take to heart what the previous posters have said about variance, expect to have some equally awful days and dont play where you cant afford to.

Good Luck.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he even had a mini poker table mousepad at his computer so he could shuffle chips while playing online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

My girlfriend bought me clay poker chips for christmas last year and practicing chip shuffling/tricks has become a part of my online poker playing as well.

Mini poker table mousepad... hmmmm [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good job with the (crazy) tourney. Yes it's nice to see that the suckouts go both ways.

Regards,
Brad S
Old 03-08-2004, 01:33 AM

im definately another who plays with chips while playing online. ive almost mastered the chip twirl. still have to pick it up from under the desk frop time to time. jaydoggie you have 15 seconds to act. :0

the minitable was pretty nice, i think he made it himself. someone should market it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2004, 01:56 AM

Hi Ace,

I think I need to clarify my remarks, because I didn't mean to disaparage his accomplishment. Quite the contrary, what I meant was that by calling his opponents "complete idiots," he was disparaging his own work.

I respect my opponents. I may not always understand why they do the things they do, but I assume they have a reason for it. So after the hand, or after the tourney when I review my hand replays, I take a moment to ask myself: in what circumstances would I have made the same play? In some cases, what I discover is that he made a smart play that I didn't understand. In some cases, I see a trap that I might well have walked into myself. Regardless, I try to always assume that he had a reason for what he did.

I don't think I'm an expert. I've only been playing NLHE for a year, and I have a LOT to learn. So I don't look at my opponents and think "what an idiot." I think ... was *I* the idiot?

Cris
Old 03-08-2004, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This brings to mind an interesting story I have from a low limit live table. There was one young woman at the table who was having fun donating. Talkative, loose, friendly, and nice. At one point she said to me "I really like the color of your eyes." Because of my concentration on the game, I missed that this was likely a flirting attempt. How -EV is that?

Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

In the poker game of life, flirting with the right person can be very, very +EV.

eastbay