Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-08-2004, 01:43 PM

Default How do you play the nuts here.

Let me start out by introducing myself a bit. I am a fairly long time 2+2 forum reader, not a frequent poster, and PLo is one of my favorite games to play. I would consider myself a self-taught PLo player, that has had decent success, and is in general much better then the average PLo player you will find online.

Anyway on to the hand in question.

The game is $50 PLo on Party. Hero has the deepest stack at the table (Just over $200).

Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from the BB.

Two new players to the table post a BB of $1. Flop is 6 way in an unraised pot. ($5.70)

Flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets pot ($5.70). Two folds, raise from MP to $14.10, reraise from the button to $53.70 (All-in).

Action comes back to hero, who has MP covered, but MP has a larger stack then average. (Around 2x the buyin) What is your play here?

Of the three options I have (fold, call, raise) I don't particularily like any of them.

Comments on this hand please.

kipin
Old 12-08-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Re: How do you play the nuts here.

I think calling is out of the question, as hearts, kings, jacks, nines, and board pairs are all scare cards, and you're out of position. Folding is even more out of the question, because your hand is too good (and you're playing against Party $50 PLO players anyway); remember you have two of the jacks, so you're slightly less likely to be chopping. So raise.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:24 PM

Kings are good cards, just not the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

King gives him a better straight
Old 12-08-2004, 03:25 PM

I believe I'd toss that hand and wait for a better spot. Yeah I know tossing the nut str8 on the flop sux, but your draws to better hands are extremely limited here. A K will give you a higher nut str8, but that's only 4 outs and your pair has been overcarded. You could well be up against a heart draw w/ 9 outs and a set of Qs with 12 outs. Additionally you have no low draw should it show up at the back door. I'm a conservative player, but I think the odds favor a bad beat for you here...I'd toss it.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:35 PM

This is a high game only, low outs do not need to be considered.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:42 PM

Nate, in the little bit of time I thought about this hand while actually involved in the pot I used your line of thinking (Don't fold or call, but raise). But in retrospect I believe it may not have been the best option.

Considering the amount of money I have invested in the pot ($7), and the amount of money I will need to put into the pot to stay in this hand (Atleast another $50), looking back I now believe fold was the best option. I think with the reraise I have to put him on atleast J9 (for the split) and at worst, the made hand, plus a redraw to either a full house or a flush.

The original raiser IMO has to have somewhere between a flush draw and the same straight. (Set is probably most likely in this situation since his raise seems to be for information and not for value (He did not put in the max raise).

If anyone is interested in the actual results of the hand I will paste them in white after the comments on the hand have stopped rolling in.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:12 PM

Ah, I missed that since I only play O8. My opinion remains the same however, I'd fold. There are simply too many cards to beat you and too few that improve your hand.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:26 PM

Someone's probably freerolling on you and the other probably has a set here, so looking at it objectively, I think a fold is in order. But if I was playing in this game, at these stakes, I'd tell myself that one had a set, one a flush draw and probably push. The better the competition gets though, the better a fold looks. Interesting hand, like to know how it turns out.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:22 PM

For any interested in the results of the hand, I have posted it on pokerhand.org.

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...amp;hand=21163

I think my raise was bad, but not the worst play I could have made with this hand. In the future I think folding the flop is a smarter, and higher EV long term play, this would be especially true in a deeper stacked game.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:23 PM

Didnt look at your results, but folding is your best option here IMO. You have no outs to improve you're hand really, while I would assume the other 2 players have tons of them. Im pretty sure someone is free-rolling you, and you'll end up at best with half the pot, most likley losing it to a flush draw.