Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Favorite amazingly useful trivial convenience

I'll second that. Worked in the industry for a long time and I love having a good chef's knife to whack things up with.

High speed internet is way up on the list.

One great thing I have that I have little use for any more is a lighter I brought back from Mexico. It is a regular plastic lighter but it has a beer opener embedded in the side of it. I cannot believe we do not have these in America. I don't really need it since I can open a beer with a lighter anyway, and besides that I don't even smoke anymore, but I was indignant that we don't have them here.

NT
Old 11-29-2004, 03:35 AM

Remote control for my TV/ DVD Player/ Stereo. Can you imagine? People actually used to have to get up off their a[/i]ss to turn on the TV!
Old 11-29-2004, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the ATM is very underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used an ATM.

~ Rick
Old 11-29-2004, 03:56 AM

I love the convenience of listening to music while I'm on the computer. While surfing I can easily get just about any combination of music I want with a few clicks. Right now I use an older version (7.5) of MusicMatch Jukebox (the newer versions have gone way downhill so I don't recommend this software).

BTW, can't wait to get my new speakers (top of the line CSW Megaworks 213's via UPS this week). Probably will upgrade my player software (not sure to what yet) and re-encode my CD collection using some sort of lossless compression.

~ Rick
Old 11-29-2004, 04:13 AM

Default One More....

Wacki's tea thread reminded me how great this little coffee/tea warmer is sitting next to my computer. Bought it on impulse for about five bucks while checking out at Fry's but its something I use almost every day.

~ Rick
Old 11-29-2004, 05:36 AM

Default Re: One More....

I lost mine. I've gotta go find another one somewhere. They really are very handy.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Re: One More....

AIM
Old 11-29-2004, 11:58 AM

"Duct tape. What would we do without it? I've fixed shoes with that stuff. I know people who've made wallets with it. I saw some girl on TV make a prom dress out of it. "

Not quite a dress, but my wife made a very cool wallet out of duct tape, complete with change department, credit card holders etc.

I don't know what mine is. I'm not much of a gadgety person. I'm quite pleased with contact lenses I guess.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:50 PM

I think I've got one major one and two minor ones I can think of.

The major one is a detachable shower head, the kind with a long hose on it so it can drop all the way to the floor. This takes a few minutes off a shower, because you can get the soap right where you want it. Also makes soaping up your feet safer, since the soap comes off easier and you don't slip around, and really helps quickly get shampoo out of your hair and helps clean your, um...crack really fast. I used to have cats, and when I bathed them, it was fantastic and really made things easy. And, you never get under a cold shower when turning the water from the spigot below to the showerhead, since you can just point the showerhead at your feet or near them to start. Plus, the massage on some units is really, really nice, especially when you have sore muscles from a work-out.

Next are two items on the same theme. I love good food, but love it even more when it takes no real effort.

Second is the Ronco rotisserie I got. I bake a pretty mean chicken, but the rotisserie crisps every inch of skin; I used to have little problem throwing chicken skin away, but when it's perfectly golden brown and crispy, it's very very tempting. Plus, it keeps basting itself with its own juices and rendered fat, since the thing turns fast enough that a lot of the drippings don't drip off right away. It does other meat well too, but I'm a bit of a nut for chicken, and this thing does chicken about as perfectly as it can be done. You can either skewer the whole chicken in the classic rotisserie way, or stuff pieces in a metal basket the skewers fit on. I like to do a big package of breasts or drumsticks that way, and munch them here and there throughout the week. I just did two 14 pound turkeys in it this weekend.

The next is one I don't use that much, but really love it when I do. An automatic bread maker. Nothing beats the smell of fresh bread in a house. Real estate people even suggest baking a loaf of bread in a house before potential buyers come over to give it that homey, heavenly smell. Takes no effort at all and you can make all kinds of cool bread with one that you probably wouldn't find in a store. Plus, it's great for making pizza dough! The hard thing is, a loaf of fresh baked bread is almost impossible to not eat at least half of right on the spot, even with nothing on it. That's why I limit my use of it -- it's actually makes food that is TOO good. I put on weight when I use this thing much.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:26 PM

after hiking outside for a few months, some of it in the winter, i am going to have to say the toilet