Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: PFR - does stack size/position change anything?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you take your opponents implied odds when they're deciding if they should call your pf raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

think about it, if you only raise good hands, they will call with anything to hit a good flop and win a big pot from you. If you show them you're willing to raise a wide range of hands then their perfect flop might not win them even a decent sized pot. You force them to adapt to it in a different way, something they're not used to doing and will probably do poorly.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:30 PM

yes, it's good to vary your play... But you can't use that excuse to justify any play... and raising SC OOP just isn't the right place to show your LAG side.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, it's good to vary your play... I just don't think that means that any play can be deemed acceptable and raising SC OOP just isn't the right place to show your LAG side.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not only acceptable it's a good play with deep stacks and good opponents. AA is a bad hand to have in a 500bb pot oop(unless of course it's a Axxxx board), 87s is fantastic.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:37 PM

I have to disagree. AA beats 87s; no matter the size of the stacks .
Old 12-26-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree. AA beats 87s; no matter the size of the stacks .

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you really got what I said.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:49 PM

I think his point here is that you'll have easy decisions with 87s OOP, rather than with AA OOP. If you nail a flop, then you can go with it. If you miss, then you're done with it. Even if you get a piece of it, you can dump it.

I think it was said already, but this strategy should only be used against thinking opponents. Imagine, if you raise OOP against a solid player with 87s and the flop comes A77 or something like this. It's very difficult for this solid player to put you on the seven.

If I'm wrong as to what you were saying before... please correct me.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:51 PM

I like it. EV goes down when out of position, so ending hands quicker means reducing your exposure to the thing that is sucking away the EV.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here at 2+2, we know how sucky it is to play a TPTK with AK OOP with a deep stack and similar hands.

We also love to remind eachother of our fpr,ulated 'standard PFR' (4x BB +1 per limper), however lately I have been trying to raise a little bit more when OOP with big hands because I just hate playing OOP and wouldn't mind a fold and picking up some blinds (even with AA)

good...bad...ugly?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hate playing out of position, raise less (to keep the pot smaller) or limp. It is just plain wrong to say that you just want to pick up blinds with AA out of position. It would be more correct to go for a limp/raise with AA-KK. If you are raise more OOP with your big hands, it should be because you want to avoid multiple callers, and instead isolate a single player with a (good) second best hand.