Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Re: He\'s Picked up a real hand here, Ace Ace

[ QUOTE ]
I guess since we agree that I should have bet the flop the amount I did and call his push I'll explain my roomate's rationale for checking the flop, when he saw the villain's A 9 diamonds. The board ended up spitting out a 10 spades and a 6 clubs to give him a straight.

My roomate said that if I check to villain on the flop he'd check his flush draw. Then if I bet the turn he'd call with his gutshot straight draw and his 4 to the flush. Then when the board would have 6 7 8 10 and I would either check/bet villain would push and I'd still have around 2000-2500 chips to play with instead of being out of the tournament in 406th place.

Agree with him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Work on your omniscience and prescience.

You played this hand great.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess since we agree that I should have bet the flop the amount I did and call his push I'll explain my roomate's rationale for checking the flop, when he saw the villain's A 9 diamonds. The board ended up spitting out a 10 spades and a 6 clubs to give him a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your roommate is advocating results oriented thinking here. More often than not your opponent will not get runner runner for his straight. You did not want to give the diamond draw a free card. You're ahead all the way, even though he picked up a better redraw on the river than he had on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
My roomate said that if I check to villain on the flop he'd check his flush draw. Then if I bet the turn he'd call with his gutshot straight draw and his 4 to the flush. Then when the board would have 6 7 8 10 and I would either check/bet villain would push and I'd still have around 2000-2500 chips to play with instead of being out of the tournament in 406th place.

Agree with him?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't agree with him. You can't give the flush draw a free card. Betting somewhere around 2/3 of the pot makes it so that calling your bet is a mistake. That's what it all comes down to. You induced the villain to make a mistake on the flop and he bit. After the flop call you then might want to make the draw pay even more, especially when you see that the scary board got a bit scarier and villain may have picked up some more outs. Price him OUT of this hand. If he calls again he's making another mistake. But consider that more often than not you will win this hand. You happened to be in one instance where the underdog hit one of his outs on the river, and he had quite a few of them, but more often than not you want to get all of your chips in the middle here and double up through the donkey.

Bad players do get rewarded by luck. All you can do is make the best play to induce your opponent to make as many mistakes in a hand as possible. If he happens to outdraw you and get lucky - that's poker for ya.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:15 PM

Where does your roomate play? :-)

You played this fine. Sucks when fish catch runner-runner-crap to crack aces, but it happens.

If he is willing to push all of his chips on a draw with no pair to an overcard board, well, then god love him.

BTW, if you had checked the flop and he checked behind, then he picks up the OESD, with the flushdraw, he was close to being ahead (math guys?). So, he woudl have been correct to call your all in. In otherwords, you would have helped him to make the right decision = breaking the FTOP = BAD. :-)

Well played, slap your roomate...
Old 12-05-2005, 12:24 PM

Addendum to my earlier post is that you want to instacall that push. With the FD villain only has 9 outs twice and his backdoor straight draw only adds slightly more equity to his hand. You're ahead here about 60/40 with two cards to come.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Agree with him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your roommate is clearly an idiot. If you just folded preflop, you wouldn't have even wasted any chips on the hand.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bitchslap your roomate for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]