Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 06:28 PM

Default 30/60 5 handed 99 vs 2 lags

Both of my opponents are pretty LAG, it was a couple days ago but their pf stats are about 45/20ish + or - a couple points in both. What are the thoughts of my play up to the river? I felt that betting the flop against them would do nothing as they would call it with just about any 2 cards and Id still have no idea where I was at going into the more expensive streets.
And what should my river decision be?
Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero ???
Old 11-13-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: 30/60 5 handed 99 vs 2 lags

anyone?
Old 11-13-2005, 09:41 PM

I'd call. I don't think you're good most of the time here, but I think he shows a low PP or some A-high crap often enough.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:44 PM

i think you need to bet the flop. if SB checkraises you then just give up, but you shouldnt give a free card and betting gives you more information than checking for sure.

after the button bets the river i think you have enough of a hand to call. there are alot of Qx hands that will peel the turn and he almost certainly doesnt have a king after checking the flop. hopefully he just doesnt have a jack or tripped up with a ten which is also fairly unlikely from the flop action.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:09 PM

I think you should have bet the flop. When the SB checks the flop in that spot, I think you can assume that he either hit the flop really hard or whiffed completely. If you bet and he check/raises, you can make a pretty safe fold, if he doesn't show strength throughout the hand you're probably ok.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are alot of Qx hands that will peel the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Or any two spades.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you need to bet the flop. if SB checkraises you then just give up, but you shouldnt give a free card and betting gives you more information than checking for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that betting is way better, and that it also gives you more information. If button calls your bet, and then SB checkraises, I would be inclined to peel one though. You will be getting 16:1, and only need to make up 3 BB, against 2 opponents, with hands they like. If button folds however, I don't think you can extract enough value out of SB enough of the time.

Also, to the OP, using the reason of "they will call my flop bet with any two" is not a reason to check.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:08 PM

I call, button shows 7h8h and my nines are good.

All of you telling me to bet the flop do you bet the entire way if getting called? The person that said I shouldnt check just because they would call with anything, how many bets do you want to put in with 99 on this board? If I check flop, button bets, sb raises i fold, button bets sb calls I call and evaluate on the turn, if button checks as in the hand I have a lot more info on the hand.
Button is likely not going to check any pairs on that flop narrowing his range some. If it checks through and sb bets I feel its an easy fold as he could have been trying to slowplay something. If its checked to me Id normally expect to bet and take the pot down there after all the checking.

I just feel that betting the flop is not going to get them to fold anything in a pot this size and just opens me up for one of them to get tricky and bluff raise the turn and me investing 1.5bb to get bluffed off when I could have invested less and gotten the same information.