Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Tournament Leader Board

ANy1 ever try yo do a home game tourney leader board??

We play once a week on thursdays and are trying to establsh some way of turning it into a points system for some side action.

Any thoughts would be apprecited!

thanks

Old 09-30-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Tournament Leader Board

you are after this:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;o=14&vc=1

I asked the same thing yesterday and funny enough is two threads down from yours. My idea sucked unfortunately and I luckily got some good advice which you'll find in the link.

good luck!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:14 AM

We don't have a prize for our current season (which is a shame cause look who's winning: http://www.homepokerclub.net/clubsta....php?clubid=1), but next season we'll probably make our tourney buy ins 10+5 where $5 goes to the player of the year/championship tourney prize pool.

steve
<font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font>
Old 09-30-2005, 08:39 AM

I play in a 'League' type game that has done this rather effectively.

Typically, we play every 2-3 weeks or so, and get an average of 23 players (min this year was 14, max was 36). We play 2 $40 buy in tourneys each night, and 5% is put into a side pool for the end of year 'Finals'.
The point system is based on # of payouts, so if top 5 get paid, winner gets 5 points, 2nd - 4, 3rd - 3, etc. Winner also gets 1 bonus point for, well, winning...
At the end of the season, the top 10 in points plays for the side pool, no buy in.

This year's pool is $2300. I'm 10th! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Alternative thoughts we've had.
Points awarded based on # of players. Twenty players: 1st - 20 (+1) points, 2nd - 19, 3rd - 18, ... 20th - 1 point.
Points translate into extra starting chips for the Finals.
Players not qualifying for Finals can buy in for equivalent seat value + $50 (if Finals is $2300, seat value is $230, outsiders can buy in for $280).
Must have played a minimum # of tourneys to qualify.

I suggest you just pick a system and do it. Start with a shorter season, say 4 - 6 months depending on how often you play. Over the course of a season you'll get planty of input as to what your crew likes, and you can adjust it for the following season.

The action gets crazy towards the end of the year. People on or near the bubble can't miss a week in fear of getting bumped. Lots of added pressure makes for very interesting evenings!

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:34 AM

We have a setup for our home games that everyone likes. We track each tournament and keep track of net $ instead of points, but you could do either.

We use The Tournament Director (http://www.thetournamentdirector.net) as our tournament clock. It's donation-ware and very easy to configure/use. It basically runs itself leaving the host (me) time to play.

Once the tournaments are done, we save the files and upload them directly to a home tournament tracking service called The Home Series of Poker (http://www.statsgenie.com/poker)

The Home Series of Poker site is continually being updated, as I think it is a pretty new service. That being said, I have come across very few bugs. The ones that I have come across, or questions that I have had, have been answered by the developer within 24 hours (usually more like 2 hours).

I'm not associated with either of these services, just thought I'd spread the word as we enjoy them so much. The stats just seem to add an extra element to our games.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ANy1 ever try yo do a home game tourney leader board??

We play once a week on thursdays and are trying to establsh some way of turning it into a points system for some side action.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I do mine-

Top 5 finishers each week get points, based upon the size of the prize pool.

1st- 10 * P
2nd- 7 * P
3rd- 5 * P
4th- 3 * P
5th- 1 * P

Where P is the amount of money in the prize pool. So if there is $200 worth of buy-ins, re-buys and add-ons, the winner will get 2000 points, the runner-up will get 1400, etc. Each season lasts 4 months, and the final event in each season is a larger buy-in event with no re-buys or add-ons.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:13 AM

I'm just starting mine too. Using the reverse pointing system so with 15 players 1st place gets 15 points, 2nd place gets 14, points etc...

I have a group of 6 - 14 guys and base my calculations on 8 guys qualifying for the Season's championship. I'll have a 12 tourney season with the best 7 results being used to determine the Season champion. $10 extra will be collected from each player at each tourney game until a player has kicked $70 total ($10 x 7 tourney games). The Season champion will get 20% of the pot for finishing first and the Season's Champ and runner up will play a heads up match in which the winner will get 60% of the remaining pot and the runner up will get 40%. Assuming I have 8 solid players kicking in for the Season (8 players x $10 x 7 tourneys = $556)...the Season's Champion would get $111 for ending the season in first and the heads up battle would be for the remaining $445 with the winner getting $267 and with the runner up getting $178.

The current season is just a trial run and no extra money is being collected to this point but when season 2 gets started, the above is what I plan to implement but maybe with a longer season.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the help guys! Ill let you all know what we come with!

Old 09-30-2005, 05:37 PM

I had the same question a month ago. It was pretty good to start with, but we decided to add a $1000 chip add-on for $20 before the final tourney starts to sweeten the pot. The purse is up to around $400 with 1 week to go. It should be around $700 with 11 or 12 in the final tourney.

4 Consecutive Weeks
Maximum of 2 Tournaments per Night
$5 extra per tournament to Earn Points (Qualify)

Qualifying
1. Players must announce at beginning of tournament their intention to qualify.
2. Players may opt not to qualify for a tournament – they will earn 0 points.
3. Players, who announce nothing, will be excluded from qualifying.
4. A player may opt not to attend a night – they will earn 0 points.

Earning Points
1. Points are earned only if you’ve paid the $5 qualifier fee.
2. Points will be earned for finishing positions.
3. If there are 10 players in a tournament, 1st place earns 10 points, 2nd place earns 9 points … last place earns 1 pt.

Point Values
1. All players who earn points make the final tournament.
2. At the end of 4 weeks, each point earned will translate into $50 in chips (for example 28 points=$1400 in chips, 80 points=$4000 in chips).

Final Tournament
1. Seats and Button will be drawn at Random (by drawing cards).
2. Tournament purse will consist of all qualifying money.
3. Final payout will be determined by how many players qualify for the tournament.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Thanks Precept!

I will definitely bring that up for discussion next thursday!