Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 02:21 PM

Default 5 dollar KK situation (semi long)

I didn't save the hand history for post. But it went like this. Level 2 i'm at 1700 in chips. Middle position i get Kings. Early position pot sized raise (Guy is very Loose) I just cold call. SB calls.

flop : J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets out 250
villian calls 250

Hero Pushes all in

SB folds, Villian Calls and shows 10 9

turn K

River 8

Now, is this just an unfortunate event and/or another bad beat story, or did i seriously mess up this hand. At first thought i thought i played the hand really well. The cold call preflop not only disguised my hand, but at such an early stage with my decent chip stack gave me a chance to even get away from my hand should an ace hit.

At second glance and talking it over, i'm getting the play was too cute for a 5 dollar. Players don't think about deception and they think i shoulda just blasted it preflop.

My thoughts: The cold call covers my hand. I don't have a lot invested so i can get away from the hand if need be. Also, the flat call does give me a chance to get max value from my kings post flop assuming it's a favorable flop.

Please give me feedback on what u think about the hand.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: 5 dollar KK situation (semi long)

[ QUOTE ]
(Guy is very Loose) I just cold call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's no good at all.

Edit: Sorry, I'll elaborate. This early in tournaments, don't try to get fancy. Especially not in $5 tournaments. 99% of the 'fancy' plays you attempt in these go right over the opposition's heads anyway. They don't think about what you're representing. They don't think about the texture of the flop in relation to pre-flop betting. They think about their 2 hole cards and the board. I guarantee if the open raiser had AQ here, he'd call a re-raise pre-flop and let you stack him on that flop.

Long story short, just play ABC poker at these levels and take what you can get. Towards the bubble, you might can trap someone pre-flop with kings, but this early in the tournament, in middle position, and especially with a loose open raiser, the cold-call was pretty horrible.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now, is this just an unfortunate event and/or another bad beat story

[/ QUOTE ]
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: yes, but raise (if not push) preflop because it's a $5 tournament and you'll get called by Ax and other crap you're beating handily.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:09 PM

You forgot "Do you see why?"
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a lot invested so i can get away from the hand if need be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you not have a lot of money invested w/ kk? This is the early phases of the tourney, protect your hand and raise, especially from MP. Your call puts more money in the pot which means that your opponents are getting better pot odds. At low limits and quite frankly low skill players playing, they will call a pot sized raise and a call w/ junk like a/10 o. This poses a threat. You need to charge these idiot players a lot of money to outdraw you. You have a monster, but this one doesn't play well multiway. You are trying to isolate the pot.

One can make cases for a cold call w/ kk if it is later in the tourney when there are maybe 4/5 people left and you are trying to break 1 of them. Blinds are bigger and this is the spot that you are looking for to call. Now in the early phases is when you are trying to collect chips and there is little need for preflop deception especially at these lower limits.

You are quite frankly lucky that your overbet on the flop was called by a draw, and unlucky that it hit. This just goes to show what the preflop call did though. You let a crap hand see a flop and make a straight.

Yes it was an outdraw, yes you could have stopped it.

best of luck to you!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:02 PM

in a $5 SNG, i think it's a mistake to cold call with K K against a very loose player, as a matter of fact, it's a mistake to cold call against any kind of loose opponent. this is clear reraise preflop, PERIOD! i tend to cold call with A K/A Ks, 10 10, and J J, though. also depending on how good my position is, how many players are in the pot, how those players play, what the blind level is, and how big a stack i have, i may cold call with 7 7-9 9.

oh, i don't think this is a bad beat post and even if it is, so what! bad beats [unfortunately] are inescapeable in poker. you got unlucky [unfortunately] which is also inescapeable in poker.
just try to play your hand[s] to the best of your ability and try to learn from your mistakes. the less you make, the more of an advantage and edge you'll have over your opponents.