Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 09-25-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Recent Home Game Arguement

<font color="black"> </font> This is my first post, I hope I didn't screw anything up too badly. I was recently at a home game. It was a very small game, five of us, each putting in $5 for a winner-take-all mini-tournament. It was down to me and one other player near the end of the match. I had about $10 in chips and he had about $15. The blinds were very high ($2/$4) as we had been playing one-on-one for quite some time. I took a cripling blow to my chipstack after a big hand, and I was down to my last $3. The next hand, I was BB for $4. The guy I was playing against told me that I could not play the next hand as I could not pay my blinds. I thought this to be incorrect, as I should be able to put my last $3 out there as my blind. 2 of the 3 bystnaders sided with me, so I got to play my hand. Eventually I ended up with all of the chips, winning the match and making the opposing player very angry, as he thought I should have lost when I couldn't pay my blinds.

Who's right here?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Recent Home Game Arguement

YOU. Its NL holdem. If you cant pay the blinds you go all in. Your opponent is an idiot, congrats on taking him down.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its NL holdem. If you cant pay the blinds you go all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Where was the host when this issue came up? For future reference, the host should always have a good working knowledge of tournament rules and should point out any house rules to the guests before play starts. For beginners I suggest downloading/printing a set of rules and keeping them handy. It makes for a funner, friendlier game and also helps you develop into a better player.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:49 PM

I'm usually very calm at the table, honestly I've never even raised my voice (I save that for talking to my poker buddy after the game), but I really hope you pissed on your opponent after this one.
"Well you're poor so no blinds for you, game over"
AHHHHH.

Cody
Old 09-25-2005, 03:58 PM

I suppose I was the host, considering the game was at my house. I was sure that everyone knew that if this case came up, it would go the way it went without arguement. I'm actually going to show him this post(s), so please don't quit with the replys.

And I did, in fact, urinate on him after the game.
Heh.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:25 PM

Hahaha... what a marooon. Of course you're correct. Please urinate on him again for me.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:50 PM

Honestly, I would wake this dumbass up with a golden shower everyday until he gave you a written apology.
It's at this point I feel I should qualify my anger. It isn't that he made a mistake, we all make mistakes, but it's that (from your story) he sounds so adament in his belief of his mistake, and I HATE it when people actually try to rationalize mistakes as there is no where (credible) they could've gotten that info.

Cody
Old 09-25-2005, 07:02 PM

You could make cases for defication here. nothing says i told you so like a cleaveland steamer!
Old 09-25-2005, 07:40 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

You should've said that the game couldn't continue and you'd have to split the prize pool evenly, w00t!

But, I'm glad you came back to win it, you were correct. He just has to post whatever you have left for that hand (i.e. not the full $4)
Old 09-25-2005, 10:36 PM

He's an idiot.

If you can't pay the short blind, what happens to your cards? Do you get to keep your chips until next tourney?

Silly- it's not a gambling debt that has to be paid in full.