Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Default What are fish thinking when they min bet huge pots?

So often -- playing PLO25 -- I'll see a $12 pot where one guy has the nut straight while two others are hoping to hit their flush or fill up...

And yet the guy with the nut straight will bet something like $0.25 or $0.50...

Why the Hell would you give your opponents between 20 and 80 to 1 pot odds in this game?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: What are fish thinking when they min bet huge pots?

I'd like to know why you have a problem with fish giving you odds to draw out on them... do you really want them to play better, or is it just because they're giving odds to draw and you make the sensible fold and are no longer involved in the pots?

Fish make bad plays more often than pros... either because they're foolish, ignorant or just plain don't care... that's why they're fish [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 02:53 PM

I suppose the thinking might be that extremely weak draws like backdoor flush and runner runner higher straight draws will fold to any bet while they can conserve money if the board pairs on a later street. Still, this motive is probably too sophisticated for typical fish which are probably thinking more along the lines of "I always get drawn out on, so I don't want to put in too much money." All I have to say is you have to love this kind of fish that never charges you to draw and always pays to draw to his flush.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:07 PM

They are hoping you think it is a blocking bet and will raise them.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know why you have a problem with fish giving you odds to draw out on them... do you really want them to play better, or is it just because they're giving odds to draw and you make the sensible fold and are no longer involved in the pots?

Fish make bad plays more often than pros... either because they're foolish, ignorant or just plain don't care... that's why they're fish [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It doesn't bother me: It's just interesting to explore the reasoning behind plays that are obnoxiously illogical.

Incidentally, both your username and your title are Iron Maiden songs, Journeyman being one of my favourites from Dance of Death and Tailgunner being about the only marginally redeemable track on No Prayer for the Dying (Actually, Mother Russia is one of my favourite Maiden songs, but the rest of that album ranges from abyssmal to mediocre...Oh well...At least Bruce Dickinson's voice is listenable, which is more than I can say for Fear of the Dark, an album with only one good track (the title, although its value is now forfeited by the fact that the Rock in Rio version features a rejuvenated rather than a tired Dickinson ) whose problems are compounded by the fact that Dickinson's voice took a nosedive in the early 1990s and didn't really recover till his last two solo albums and the post-reunion Maiden stuff.).
Old 08-14-2005, 05:03 PM

Fish give you 20 - 80 pot odds because they don't know what %@$@%# pot odds are. All they know about are hand ranks and what beats what. They are simply playing their hand without any thought of what someone else might have. All they know is if they make their hand, they win.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:05 PM

the one thing I can think of is that the fish is hoping that the other guys have ticked the check/fold tick box and will fold to a smaller bet than they are expecting anyone would think of betting.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:19 PM

He is hoping you will think he is weak and raise him. A common play I make is to raise weak bets when I can represent a straight, flush, or boat. I have run into this many times. I raise his crappy bet and get reraised. Then I get pissed off because I got out played.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 AM

Yeah I think it's a ploy to get those players with 'check/fold' ticked to fold.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He is hoping you will think he is weak and raise him. A common play I make is to raise weak bets when I can represent a straight, flush, or boat. I have run into this many times. I raise his crappy bet and get reraised. Then I get pissed off because I got out played.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been known to do this to draw out a "kill the stupid fish" bet. Now that I think about it a min-bet/fold-any may be a nice cheap way to buy a fishy table image.