Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: I need help :)

If you ask me, I think that the main problem does lie in your setup. My home game is pretty much the same set up, w/ a minimum of a 20 dollar buy in. Sometimes there are players who try to buy in w/ 10 and are buried alive before they deal 3 times. I reccommend lowering the blinds or increasing the buy in.

Furthermore, your story reminds me of a concept in Sklansky's Theory of Poker when he describes a game that he couldn't win. He was better than his opponents and the blinds were high relative to the limits. He later figured out that their loose and quite frankly weak play worked because of the blind structure. Sklansky would lay down a lot of hands during pots when his opponent was holding something like 10/q suited. He determined that he was a dog in that game because of that reason. This might be the case with you.

Not sure if that helped but hope that it did.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:24 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate your advice and your patience with what probly seems like a series of pretty simple questions.

I have 2 poker books...one by Hellmuth (Play Poker Like the Pros) and also Super System. I guess what Im really confused on is that both seem suited more for advanced play against better opponents. Hellmuth says play 77-AA and AK/AQ for beginners only. Brunson allows for more hands but also says that little of his advice will work against 'weak' players. He says to play fundamentally better rather than strategically better....but Im not quite sure which advice to apply to strategic and whioch is fundamental.

Would anyone mind giving a brief synopsis of play in 'weak' games...the hands you play before the flop, general betting style pre and post flop, and tips to playing these kinds of people. I know now I should change the blinds style...thanks much for all the tips on that! But Im stuck as to what kind of play/hands/betting is most effective against these kinds of players?

Thanks again for all the help and patience everyone. And thanks also to smoore for answering some pretty dumb questions ;P

C
Old 04-17-2005, 05:46 PM

I think Hellmuth is trying to create a new generation of fish with his holdem advice. His stud and omaha advice is a bit better.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:52 PM

If your playing a tournament style game, where people can get "knocked out" like you mentioned, that changes everything in regards to the setup.

Buy in for whatever $$ you agree on and give each player $1000 in tournament chips (T1000). Then you could use any blind structure you think would suit your group. 10-20 with 25 minute levels would be a good start. Doubling the blinds each level is not unusual.

But if people are getting "knocked out", and there is only 1 winner, give "tournament" chips to everyone. You want between 30 and 40 chips per player to give everyone that healthy stack feeling.

As far as your play. Short handed (5 players and under) any 2 face cards are good pre-flop if nobody raised. Suited Aces, suited connectors should get played in a 5 man game as well. Dont be a passive player. If you can take the lead and make people react to you (betting w/o an Ace when the Ace flops) people will have to make a decision every hand.

If you know your player will call every "normal" bet, bet when you hit the flop. Take advantage of your "good" hands, and get away from your misses. Once you get a feel, take advantage of your misses as well.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:31 PM

Look into some of Sklanksy and Malmuth's books. Read Hold 'em Poker first. As you get better, get The Theory of Poker, and Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:41 PM

the harrington book is the best no-nonsense solid strategy book for NL, tourny or cash. that's what i recommend. that's in addition to TOP (for foundation).
Old 04-17-2005, 11:52 PM

Agreed. Harrington on Hold 'em is awesome. Volume two promises even more wonderful advice.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:16 AM

Here are some links that may be of interest...

For limit & a place to start... Preflop hand selection

Fishy games
Thread 1

Playing beginners Thread 2

Most rehashed in this thread...
Playing beginners Thread 3

Weak ace odds

Others not directly related to your ?'s...
Big pot folding

As3s Discussion

Charging the flush draw
Old 04-18-2005, 11:10 AM

Thanks very much! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll read all of those. I'll probly have more questions afterwards ;P but atleast they'll be more informed... lol

Thanks again for the links...that really helps

C