Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-06-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Party Poker SNG\'s

I've been killing on the $10+$1 tables all day. I'd been killing at the $5+1 and figured I'd move up to see how I would do. So far today I've finished in the money 6/8, including 3 wins. I kid not. (same basic strategy of ultra-tight, catching a hand or two to double my stack, letting the idiots chop at each other until 5 are left, then start loosening up to the point of playing trash hands when I'm heads-up) Of course I gave $66 of it back when I tried a couple $30+$3 tables

The thing that amazes me is that people pay their hard earned money to play these and they're complete idiots. I've seen it all. Saw someone go out on their first hand, as if going all-in was the point to this. Seen tables where 7-8 were seeing the flop, some on every hand, and ohers where nobody will raise. (I'm at one now...knowing I wouldnt' face a raise I limped from UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], had 5 callers, hit top pair with a single club, bet out, and held on for a runner-runner flush. Tell me anyone here would have allowed that. LOL)

I know this doesn't come as a big shock to anyone but it just amazes me how much easy pickings there are in these tournaments.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Party Poker SNG\'s

what was the point of this post?
Old 03-06-2004, 09:55 PM

I'll say it... Well done, your obviously a brilliant player!

Old 03-07-2004, 12:43 AM

Default Warning no poker content only props to forum!

Today at Party Im 8 out of 9 in the money with 6 wins a second and a third. This is mostly due to mostly to the fact that everyone here plays really good and they share. Thanks to everyone who posts here for making me better.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:52 AM

Hi Dan,

A syllogism:

Premise A:
[ QUOTE ]
The thing that amazes me is that people pay their hard earned money to play these and they're complete idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Premise B:
[ QUOTE ]
So far today I've finished in the money 6/8, including 3 wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conclusion: 75% of the time, you're smarter than a complete idiot?

I don't mean to be unduly sarcastic -- okay, I do -- but I always wonder why people are so willing to discredit their competition? In discrediting the competition, you're also discrediting your own accomplishment ... see the syllogism above.

You had a really great day. Super! Congratulations! We all like those kinds of days, and they happen far, far too rarely. Be proud of your accomplishment, rather than pooh-poohing the competition and thus your own play.

Cris
Old 03-07-2004, 09:18 AM

I told myself I wasn't going to post all month but I am bored and this post is just begging fo me to respond.

First, I read your post and didn't think much of it either way. Then I read the responses and kind of wondered why you were getting a bit flamed for posting a success story. We all do it now and then. It shows a lack of experience, especially when you make a statement like 'I was winning at the $5, so I thought I'd give $10 a try...' but still, I don't think it is worth picking on too much.

Then I read the thread immediately below yours - a thread about a player struggling to do more than break even at the $10 dollar level. Suddenly when I looked at these two threads so close together I had to ask myself why anyone would make your post. I give everybody the benefit of the doubt, and I assume you didn't read or consider that thread, but it seems tactless. This is especially true when that other thread is contributing in a meaningful way to this forum while yours is not.

So, I congratulate you, but I also have to caution you. You made the money in 75% of the tourneys that you played today and you won almost 40% of the time. That is good, but be realistic. Assuming you are a truly GREAT player you are still highly unlikely to make the money over 50% of the time in the long run and you are probably not going to take first more than 25% of the time. Let me stress again, this assumes that you are truly exceptional at the game of poker.

What this means, is that you have a day in store for you where you will make the money in 2/8 tourneys and neither of them will be wins. This will be a losing day. You will still be a winning player who makes the money 50% of the time and you will still have a good ROI, but that day is going to make your stats what they should be. And, on that day, you will still think the competition is stupid, but many of them will win with their style of play. That is why they play the way they do. It sometimes works, and when it does it will change your current attitude to one of disgust.

Interestingly though, you will still probably be a losing player at that point given the sample I have just mentioned. Why? Because after 16 tourneys you might not be making enough to compensate for the $66 you threw away at 30+3.

I guess all I am saying is this. Don't assume everyone is a moron just because you had a good day. If it always worked out that way there wouldn't be any morons left. In fact, sometimes the morons make the money 6/8 and win 3. I kid not. They are also famous for moving from $5 to $10 to $30 all in the same day.

Just some food for thought
Brad S
Old 03-07-2004, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been killing on the $10+$1 tables all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

All day? That sounds like way too big a sample to conclude anything from it about your poker talent. Try some more realistic, smaller samples: all noon, all hour, maybe all hand!! That might work better.

PrayingMantis
Old 03-07-2004, 11:01 AM

Well,
My life is nothing but poker right now, and I stay on these boards day in and day out. I find nearly all of the posts I read useful in some way or another. Some of them just help me feel better after I've taken a beating (however well deserved [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

I am shocked that so many people have chosen to respond to the original post in such a venomous manner. It really makes no difference to any of us whether Dan is a long-term winner or loser. Whether he is a shark or a fish. It doesn't matter that we may be the very *idiots* that he is referring to in his post. WHY?

Because as a contributor to these columns, he is part of our crowd. He's a 2+2er, and he's here for the same reason as all of us: To learn to play his game a little better. We ALL have had a great day at the tables, and it makes us feel great. It doesn't matter that we made an un-likely suck-out on the river to put us on top...only the fact that , for once, the poker gods have finally smiled on us (however briefly).

In conclusion, I would like to say "Way to Go, Dan!, Just remember how great this feels on those days when things really SUCK. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]".

[ QUOTE ]
Then I read the thread immediately below yours - a thread about a player struggling to do more than break even at the $10 dollar level. Suddenly when I looked at these two threads so close together I had to ask myself why anyone would make your post. I give everybody the benefit of the doubt, and I assume you didn't read or consider that thread, but it seems tactless. This is especially true when that other thread is contributing in a meaningful way to this forum while yours is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps this post is not meaningful to some, but I think it's nice to see a 2+2er having a great day.

<stepping down off of my soapbox>

--Casey
Old 03-07-2004, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It really makes no difference to any of us whether Dan is a long-term winner or loser. Whether he is a shark or a fish

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it makes a big difference to one of us, namely Dan.

My post was not meant to be venomous. I was simply trying to point out that a single day can skew one's opinion of the kinds of results one expects to acheive. This can be very disheartening when the eventual downward swing comes and the same 'idiots' who made that win possible start demonstrating why they never bothered to learn to play poker right - because their strategy sometimes works!

Actually, what am I saying? That is not why I replied and I made that clear. I replied because there are players struggling to beat 10+1 and if anything seems venemous to me, it is a post stating that the losers on party are all idiots and morons. This seemed especially true to me when there was a thread right below this one to that effect.

While I think my reply could be valuable to Dan and others who think as he does, it is not directed at them.

It is directed at the players struggling to beat 10+1 who may not be doing much wrong and who do not need to hear about what idiots they are.

Regards,
Brad S
Old 03-07-2004, 11:52 AM

thanks for the defense brad. i know ive been running bad online. alot of "bad beats" and i thought maybe i was putting myself in positions to take those. "win a small pot lose a big one" kind of hands.

i know that my luck runs hot, and cold. the cold streaks always have me questioning my worth as a poker player. the hot streaks have me excited and on top of the world.

after my BR suffering online, i had someone stake me in a small home 30$ tournament last night. when i walked in, the guy had just built his own poker room, his own table. a bar. he even had a mini poker table mousepad at his computer so he could shuffle chips while playing online poker. i was sort of intimidated, thinking someone this in love with poker must really have a good understanding of the game.

that soon changed when i saw the blind structure.
5/10
10/25
25/50
50/100 so far so good.
100/150 wtf?
150/200 wtf?
200/300 wtf?
300/500

everyone started with T1000 and there were 6 players, blinds went up every 15minutes. yowza. i made it 3 handed, blinds were high stakes weer low and these were the most passive players i had ever played. eventually blinds were 200/300 (wtf?) and the guys house we were playing had 500 in chips. 200 committed to the SB. he looks down at his cards, and starts to muck. then he says no.. im gonna make a move here and raises me 200. i look down to K5o. i think this is a must call, no? 4 to 1 pot odds?

he turns A8o. he had been folding these cards 3 handed, and almost folded from SB with close to nothing left!!

long story short i doubled him up 3X (never for alot) and finally the other guy got chipped away. it was headsup me and the otehr guy and he became incredibly aggressive. with the blinds/stacks short it was hard to play back with 10 high. so on my 2nd SB i pushed allin without paying attention to my cards (i looked, but only so he didnt think i was pushing blind.) he looked down and says "you made the wrong time to do this. well i hope you chose the wrong time" calls and shows QQ. i flip 85o.
flop 865
turn 5
river blank
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo suckouts work both ways!

next hand hes sb for 300 has 600 left. raises me 100. i call. 94o vs 83o.
flop 944. and thats all she wrote.