Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Stars 50+R Report (LONG)

Dude, you play 15/30, im sure 3 BB's don't have any significant value to you,, please rebuy dammit!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:14 PM

Your logic just seems silly. If you lose, do you rebuy? You will still have to play against the same players who you lack an edge against, so why put more money in? Maybe its just my pride talking, but if I don't feel comfortable enough to play deep with the players at my table, then I wouldn't play the tournament. That probably why I've played the 50r like 30 times (with a lot of success) and not the 100r. The 100r has basically all the "sharks" that are in the 50r, but with way fewer donks.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your logic just seems silly. If you lose, do you rebuy? You will still have to play against the same players who you lack an edge against, so why put more money in? Maybe its just my pride talking, but if I don't feel comfortable enough to play deep with the players at my table, then I wouldn't play the tournament. That probably why I've played the 50r like 30 times (with a lot of success) and not the 100r. The 100r has basically all the "sharks" that are in the 50r, but with way fewer donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think my logic is really that silly...It seems perfectly logical that if you don't have an edge you shouldn't rebuy.

But your other points are well taken, and I'll be rebuying off the top in future tournaments.

Will
Old 12-01-2005, 12:42 PM

Nice report, thanks. I just love reading these.

Some brief comments:

Hand 67: Raise UTG+1 with QTo? Why on earth?
Hand 149: Me thinks it's a bad call with AJo
Hand 293: Raise UTG with Q9s all of a sudden? Why?

But the most interesting thing in my view:

In hand 204 you get butt-censored with AA. But you're still the chip leader ("CL") by about 40K. From here to hand 240 you play exactly three hands, two raises and one (strange) limp all three of them from the button.

A HH doesn't say it all but if you're

a) around the bubble
b) a significant CL
c) only raising two times in 36 hands

then I'd have to say that's a major leak. Actually I cannot agree with the poster that said you used your CL great.

Care to comment? Could it have anything to do with the sad happenings in hand 204?

Oh, yeah rebuy at once
Old 12-01-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 67: Raise UTG+1 with QTo? Why on earth?

[/ QUOTE ]

EP steal. I throw these in occasionally, though it would probably be better to wait for hands like suited connectors. But whatever. Good, tight image, so resteals are really unlikely, and I'm risking 400 to win 225, plus I'll have deception postflop - if one of the blinds just calls they would probably have to nail the flop to push me off the hand.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 149: Me thinks it's a bad call with AJo

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably was. I dunno, I kinda liked playing against this guy postflop, I felt like I had a bead on him.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 293: Raise UTG with Q9s all of a sudden? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Shrike was short in the big blind he was in the position of NEEDING to pick up a hand. He couldn't make any sort of play even if he thought I was stealing, and he couldn't just call for pot odds either - with 6 big blinds it made sense for him to maintain his stack. Given that and my tight image I thought it was a good spot for a steal. I mean, if he picks up AK he picks up AK, but if he doesn't he has no game.

When I'm thinking about stealing I look at how often I'm going to be reraised, and part of that is also how often someone is going to resteal. I felt that the resteal odds were close to nil, and that I'd been tight enough to make a steal work.

[ QUOTE ]

But the most interesting thing in my view:

In hand 204 you get butt-censored with AA. But you're still the chip leader ("CL") by about 40K. From here to hand 240 you play exactly three hands, two raises and one (strange) limp all three of them from the button.

A HH doesn't say it all but if you're

a) around the bubble
b) a significant CL
c) only raising two times in 36 hands

then I'd have to say that's a major leak. Actually I cannot agree with the poster that said you used your CL great.

Care to comment? Could it have anything to do with the sad happenings in hand 204?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I agree with you fully on this. I had a MASSIVE chiplead after busting ackbleh with KK. We're talking 2.5x the second biggest stack, and about 4x the average. Even after taking the beat with the aces I was still in great shape...but I just slowed down. I didn't really feel comfortable stealing at my table, when I generally don't have a problem with it, and there was no good reason for it. As much as I like to pride myself on not going on tilt, this was like pseudo-tilt or something - I wasn't pissed, I just became reluctant to be aggressive.

This tournament looks like it was played by a survivalist who caught a ton of cards. I mean, there are some hands in the middle where I felt I played extremely well...the Q4s hand, the hand that got me up to 99K where I turned a straight with J9. But overall this tournament feels a bit like a missed opportunity, as if it would have been embarrassing to finish lower given the cards I held.

But then again, as I said, I've played like 5 MTT's in two months, so what can you expect. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Will
Old 12-01-2005, 04:05 PM

Nice Post and congrats on your finish. I had a couple of questions.

First - how did you keep track of all these hands? Did you just have a pen and paper next to you or did you sort through the entire hand history after it was over?

Hand # 156 - What was your reasoning for calling all in with Ace-10? Did you feel your opponent was that bad a fish?

Hand 167 - Why did you jam all in?

Hand 222 - What was your reasoning for the raise? Is this a play you pull out regularly?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First - how did you keep track of all these hands? Did you just have a pen and paper next to you or did you sort through the entire hand history after it was over?

[/ QUOTE ]

The latter. You can get Stars to send you the entire history if you go to the Requests menu. I did that and sorted through it.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand # 156 - What was your reasoning for calling all in with Ace-10? Did you feel your opponent was that bad a fish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, yeah. He was minraising all the time. Also, he had reason to be pissed at me because I had just beaten him out of a pretty substantial pot. All in all, I felt the lrr was extremely weak and was very confident my AT was the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 167 - Why did you jam all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I didn't like any of my other options. I felt that KQ was too strong to fold against the button raise, and I didn't like calling because postflop would have been really tricky out of position. I figured he could be stealing and that I had some fold equity, so I jammed. Not super-confident it was the right move though.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 222 - What was your reasoning for the raise? Is this a play you pull out regularly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess so. Sometimes you just know that your opponent's bet is a stab at the pot and nothing more. This guy also raised fairly consistently preflop, so his bet smelled of second pair/middle pocket pair type strength, which would have a really hard time calling my raise.

Will
Old 12-01-2005, 06:15 PM

I didn't read this, but like the others said, why on earth aren't you rebuying immediately esp given that you play 15/30!?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:33 PM

b/c I'm a nit.

But yeah, def from now on I will rebuy off the top.

Will