Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Silly Preflop Question

Opponent is short stacked and an idiot. Fairly LAG. He raised with QJo preflop, bet pot on flop, and on turn with OESD vs an opponent who was basically put all in with his turn bet. I thought this was a no brainer but after seeing some of the stuff you guys fold to raises I wasn't sure.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) converter

BB ($1600.10)
UTG ($1580.05)
MP ($153.20)
CO ($160)
Button ($66.30)
Hero ($394.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $4.
UTG calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $66.3</font>, Hero calls $64.30
Old 10-23-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Silly Preflop Question

Your AK [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is still a drawing hand. I wouldn't call here.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:31 PM

looks like an easy call
Old 10-23-2005, 03:36 PM

It's only 15bb against someone who is a moron. Furthermore, he's on the button, so he's more likely to do this with complete garbage trying to steal the pot. I think worst case you're up against QQ. But most the time, I expect to have Villain crushed. This is the exact same type of Villain who miniraises with AA or KK, so I think we can normally figure he doesn't have those hands. Call.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. He ended up having 88, but I'm fairly certain he would probably do this with ATs+, KJ+, etc.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:43 PM

I'd fold. Even an idiot can pick up a pocket pair sometimes, and you're behind any pair (except maybe 22 with no 2h, in which case you have +EV .002).

Maybe if he goes all-in 3 or 4 hands in a row like this, AKs would look better in this situation. Or, given his short stack, if you acted first and raised to $20 and he re-raised all-in, maybe calling another $40 would be OK given his range of hands. But, with nothing in this pot, no implied odds, and plenty of opportunity to stack him later, I'd fold here.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:48 PM

I don't care about variance, I just want to make sure this is a +EV play. As long as he does this with this range..

Hand 1: 59.0897 % [ 00.54 00.05 ] { AhKh }
Hand 2: 40.9103 % [ 00.36 00.05 ] { AA-77, AKs-ATs, KQs, AKo-ATo, KQo }

Shouldn't we call every single time? I think this range is actually a little tighter considering it looks like he wants to just go home now.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:50 PM

everyday the more posts i see, the more they seem like jokes to me.
donks don't push when they've got the stuff but they'll throw it all in on a total bluff.
that being said, you have ace king, and he could have anything.
way too often you will have him dominated, if you fold in this spot you should be berated.
so push your chips in and expect a flip, spike a pair and throw the dealer a tip.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:50 PM

If that's his hand range, yeah of course you call. In my experience though these short stack douches usually have a pocket pair when they do this though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 03:52 PM

I'm glad I made you laugh, I just wanted to make sure what I thought was an automatic call was just that, an automatic call. It seems people still disagree though.