Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 11:22 AM

Default 5-10 NL: Deep stacks

5-10 NL on Pokerroom. Full ring.

Hero is BB w/ KQo and ~$3,100 behind. Villain is LP w/ ~$2,400.

My image at the time is definitely pretty laggy; about an orbit ago, I called a flop bet on the button in a huge, multi-way pot w/ a gutshot, hit on the turn, and stacked off an overpair on the river. Then, a few hands ago, I raised UTG+1 w/ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], got reraised by a MP player, and open pushed an 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flop, got called by reraiser w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and won another big pot.

Villain seems reasonable. He built his stack a few orbits ago when someone flopped a set against his AA and villain rivered an ace (most of the money didn't go in until the river).

Folded to villain in LP, he raises to $35. SB calls, I call.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

SB checks, I check, villain bets $65, SB folds, I CR to $200 flat.

Villain thinks for a moment or two and raises to $550.

Hero? Plans for later streets?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: 5-10 NL: Deep stacks

<font color="red"> If we knew what your hand is this would be much easier </font>

nevermind
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 AM

Very tricky hand because of stack sizes, which is why I think I perfer folding pre-flop.

Im not really sure what I want to do here.

[ QUOTE ]
5-10 NL on Pokerroom. Full ring.

Hero is BB w/ KQo and ~$3,100 behind. Villain is LP w/ ~$2,400.

My image at the time is definitely pretty laggy; about an orbit ago, I called a flop bet on the button in a huge, multi-way pot w/ a gutshot, hit on the turn, and stacked off an overpair on the river. Then, a few hands ago, I raised UTG+1 w/ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], got reraised by a MP player, and open pushed an 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flop, got called by reraiser w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and won another big pot.

Villain seems reasonable. He built his stack a few orbits ago when someone flopped a set against his AA and villain rivered an ace (most of the money didn't go in until the river).

Folded to villain in LP, he raises to $35. SB calls, I call.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

SB checks, I check, villain bets $65, SB folds, I CR to $200 flat.

Villain thinks for a moment or two and raises to $550.

Hero? Plans for later streets?

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 AM

He said KQo
Old 06-28-2005, 11:54 AM

I may be losing the plot (again), but, fold.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:09 PM

Hi neon ---

You're losing to KK, QQ, 88 - he would raise with all three in late position? You beat only AA, but maybe he thinks you're CR'ing with a flush draw...maybe weak but I may let this one go...I would've gone for a smooth call on the flop.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:36 PM

I think maybe AA/AK might raise here to take control and get information if you really have a LAG image. Otherwise I think the range is KQ,KK,QQ,88 outside chance of something like JT of clubs. Because stacks are so deep, and you are out of position I think it is an easy fold. I really think you need to fold preflop here too. KQo OOP won't win you a big pot too often.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:39 PM

does anyone else here prefer leading out? that would at least make life easier on the turn...as you played it i think that you need to fold b/c you're really only beating AK and AA here. if i was villian in this situation and i got c/r'ed, KQ would immediately enter my mind or even 88...so i think that he probably has QQ or KK. however, i don't understand why he reraised for 350 more...if i was villian and i had qq or kk, i'd definately reraise to at least 650...that seems somewhat weak to me.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:45 PM

Has he seen you CR with draws? If yes, then move in.
If the answer is no, i would call and see what he does on turn.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:48 PM

I think because of the most likely flow of the hand you have to lead out on the flop because you want to be the one putting in the third bet and facing a decision on the fourth rather than putting in the second and facing a decision on the third.

If you had led out, been raised, three-bet and then gotten four bet, a fold here is very straightforward. Because of the check-raise, you now put yourself in a position of having to make a decision for a very large amount (not just the $550 but more because you may decide to four bet the flop and/or put more money in on later streets) without sufficient information. By leading and the reraising, you put in more money but get much more information out of it, and I think the value of being able to save yourself because villain puts in a third raise far outweighs the extra cost.