Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 AM

Default Re: lmao at Annie Duke

Right Scott isn't world class because he is drinking and blowing off steam. How long are you gonna milk the "I won a dime off of Scott Fischman" story. I bet you are still telling that to your Advanced D&D friends.

BTW, Scott will tell you himself that he is not the best nit grinder around. In fact, you can show your prowess against Scott almost everyday in the PLO e/o on UB. It won't take you long to find his screen name, in fact, it is in the transcript I just posted. It is played short handed though and, oh yes, he is world class in that game. Good luck and you might want to think about staying in the shallow end of the pool. Like 30-60 is some huge limit. Give me a break.

Also, the 2 days before Scott got to MN he picked up about 40k playing heads up eight or better. Will you make that this decade? Oh, that's right you charge $50 an hour for lessons. Got many takers?

Don't bother lying about me like you did the last time, I will just ignore you.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a world-class player doesn't show them to a habitual bluffer

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems a little arrogant to make a statement like that as if it is a fact set in stone, rather than an opinion. Maybe he wants to encourage a later bluff? Heck, Hellmuth has made no bones about advertising to the whole poker playing world how willing he is to lay down hands like queens. In the case you mentioned, Scott went back to Dutch & Co. and opined that the other guy had AK (which was correct); thus, I don't think it can be presumed that he would muck JJ next time (because "he needs a better hand than that to snap him off"). That being said, maybe you're right, maybe he shouldn't have showed the jacks.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:36 AM

I always wondered if, along with all the poker lessons you gave him, you also taught him how to berate other players and make it a point to always blame his losses on other's terrible play. Maybe some kind of general rule like, whenever you get called by a better hand, say it's a bad call made by amateurs, smile, and wait for sympathy.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:42 AM

Default just curious

Do you know why Ben Affleck didn't play the main event? People seemed to think it was a guarantee that he'd be playing.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Re: lmao at Annie Duke *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky
Old 08-18-2004, 06:02 AM

Default more fuel to the fire

Sean, Indy: Phil, In you opinion who are the top 5 current tourney players? Also is Ben Affleck a respected player in poker circles or just a good story?

Phil Hellmuth: Ben Affleck is more brilliant and sharp and witty and gets ''it'' than anyone in the American public realizes. His poker game has soared to nearly a world class level and him winning the $10,000 buy in earlier this year was no fluke. My hat's off to Ben for being able to achieve so much in so many different fields.

Phil Hellmuth: And he's a nice guy ..
Old 08-18-2004, 06:10 AM

lmao this is HQ.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:28 AM

Hi West,

You're absolutely right-- I am at least a little arrogant. But as far as showing the Jacks goes, I'm not saying you should never show a laydown. And again, I would definitely have folded the Jacks in that spot, because I don't want to play a big pot with an idiot who I can outplay for sure. But showing Jacks lets the guy know this fact, and I doubt if his plan was to eventually snap the guy off with some hand smaller than that, just because he encouraged him to bluff even more. Why? Because it's hard to be as big a favorite as he wanted to be with Jacks or less.

So, showing that hand only made it harder for him to play small pots in the future with that opponent. This is why his friend admonished him on the sideline. It was clear that showing the laydown was an ego move; and trust me, I know all about those.

And FYI, I'm pretty sure Affleck did play in the main event, unless the footage tonight was from an earlier event.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:54 AM

This seems like a classic example of, in an emotional state - over exaggerating something, and then not wanting to admit it by trying to prove it to be true! (speaking of Annie Duke's comment) Also, by her saying "he has BECOME a world-class player" does she mean that only since SHE started tutoring him ?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:57 AM

Upon further review, arrogant wasn't really the word I was looking for; sorry about that. I do agree about it most likely was an ego move. And I almost certainly wouldn't have shown them either. Still, I wouldn't disqualify him from being "world class" based on that one move, though you are of course welcome to do so yourself.

I was at the series watching a friend play, and I'm almost (almost) positive that Ben Affleck was a no show for the main event.