Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: What is your 6-max vpip/pfr?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why but whenever I let my VPIP SB go higher I consider that a major leak (that and going to showdown too often with Marginal hands).

I try to keep my VPIP SB very much under tight control, I like to keep it within 10% of my total VPIP.

I would caution that in my expeience this is something that can get out of control very very fast.

Margon

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you. I went through a phase of losing more than my share from the SB, but I think it was more a problem with how I was playing those marginal hands post-flop. I got rid of the second table, improved my reads, and TAG'd up a bit post-flop with those hands. It seems to be helping.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] I have some opening up to do apparently

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just like full ring guys, this comes with time. Just hang in there and learn, you'll eventually open up without even knowing it.

FYI a good portion of the high VPIP comes from some pre-flop limping in favorable situations that you might not be comfortable with right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a part of my game that im working on a lot. Finding the loose passive tables which is allowing me to limp on the button after a few limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good start, but I was talking more along the lines of limping certain hands UTG in situations where I EXPECT a lot of limpers and no Pre-flop raising.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may not be isolation raising as often as you could be. Generally when a bad player limps in front of me I will raise with the majority of the hands I would have open raised with.

You also may not be defending your big blind enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may not be isolation raising as often as you could be. Generally when a bad player limps in front of me I will raise with the majority of the hands I would have open raised with.

You also may not be defending your big blind enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that isolation play. I'll keep my eyes open and give it a try. I am a bit worried about what I do on the flop and turn if I miss though.

As for defending the BB, my general rule is to call with any ace, or any hand I would normally limp with from the Button.

I'd appreciate a link to any good 6-max blind defence posts that anyone might know of. I've read through a couple that have been linked to before, and they all seem to say it's read dependent. I agree, but I need some sort of starting point or at least a discussion on what ranges of hands to defend with against what sort of opponent.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm at 29/13. This is for 2/4 and 3/6 6max.
I guess I limp more than the rest of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this going on with my stats. If they are anything like mine you are probably completing too much in the SB without proper odds, or hands you should be raising with.

Any 2 suited isn't going to cut it here with like 1 limper unless you play superbly after the flop, you have to make up soooo much ground with marginal hands.

Another guess is you should be isolation raising much more, and there are bound to be some things that your not raising after a couple of limpers that you probably should be, especially on the button.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm stuck at 21/15, which are very similar stats to yourself. The link you posted doesn't seem to work, but I have a feeling we're using the same chart.

The way I see it there are three ways to increase my VPIP:

a) Limp more hands

b) Raise more marginal hands like A9o/KTo from UTG.

c) Steal more.

I'm limping all the recommended hands after other limpers, but I refuse to cold-call with them unless there are at least 3-4 of us in the pot, and even then they need to have multi-way strength.

I've avoided raising the marginal hands listed as raise/fold from UTG and MP. I guess I don't want to get caught with my pants down while I'm still learning the post-flop nuances of 6-max.

I don't have my steal stats to hand, but I'm pretty happy with how often I steal. If it's on the chart, I'll steal by default. Against the right opponents I'll steal with more, but I feel like it's got to have SOME high card strength, or suited and connected.

Any suggestions from those that have higher VPIP? How does your approach differ?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe Nate Tha' Great can help, proceed with caution though.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe Nate Tha' Great can help, proceed with caution though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember this thread. I read it with interest the first time around. To be honest, I never went through the too-tight phase in full ring. I'm not really that risk averse, so I was never that afraid of the variance, and the limits were small enough that it didn't hurt much anyway. That's not to say I'm one to throw away bets, my competitive streak won't allow me.

My full-ring stats are around 22% or so, which I consider just about right. 6-max does seem to be a bit more swingy (maybe my lack of skill), so it is possible I'm playing scared.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:13 PM

you're 22 in full ring but 21 in 6max?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're 22 in full ring but 21 in 6max?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I can't explain it either. It's only over 3k hands, so maybe it's a small sample size issue.

I double-checked. I'm at 20.67% over 15K hands of .50/1 full-ring.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:22 PM

mind posting your VP$IP by position for both? also ASB/FSB/FBB?